Further education

lofty123

Hi all im hoping someone can help clear my confusion. Im a qualified arbourist ive been in the industry for 12 years ive got 90% of my tickets just missing a couple of the more esoteric courses. My employer has offered to fund further education so i was looking to do a diploma in arb and forestry is there anyone that does these courses distance learning? all the courses i can find are full time for school leavers. Does such a thing exist anymore?

Hi

I have completed certificate courses in Arb and Forestry with the Horticultural Correspondence College and now on their Conservation Studies course. They also have a level 3 diploma course in Arb - all distance learning. You can start any time. Note that some of the modules expect you do have some witness statements from field visits, however they have been understanding with the lockdowns and there are ways around this which the tutors can help with.

Myerscough will do a level 4 diploma in Arb, but you will need to have a certificate before they will allow you. They also do the certificate. Their courses start in Sept. 

Good luck.

Sounds similar to the route I have taken. I did a L2 apprenticeship then RFS Cert Arb (L2). Followed this up with L4 Dip Arb with The Training Tree. Course was very good and I would recommend them. Hard work balancing course work, lectures and working/climbing. As Steve said TreeLife also offer the L4 and get great reviews, have never used TreeLife personally but would happily recommend The Training Tree.

• Like 1

On 26/01/2021 at 20:05, James Cree said:

Hi

I have completed certificate courses in Arb and Forestry with the Horticultural Correspondence College and now on their Conservation Studies course. They also have a level 3 diploma course in Arb - all distance learning. You can start any time. Note that some of the modules expect you do have some witness statements from field visits, however they have been understanding with the lockdowns and there are ways around this which the tutors can help with.

Myerscough will do a level 4 diploma in Arb, but you will need to have a certificate before they will allow you. They also do the certificate. Their courses start in Sept. 

Good luck.

Is that a good course the HCC one ?

It worked for me! There are several modules to do. No zoom meetings or anything like that, just reading and investigative work. I was sent the education pack and each one has a number of areas for you to research and write up. Once submitted, your tutor will get back to you with any amendments for re-submission. I didn't really need to make contact with my tutor. You can take as long as you want to complete the assignments. I did a few in a couple of weeks and others took a month - it just depended on everything else that was going on.

The courses are also cheaper than others I looked into. Also if you crack on, you can have this completed so that you can move on to a level 4 dip starting in Sept and it saves you a year!

You can give them a call to discuss anything - I think that if you don't like it you can cancel the course within a set time and get your money back but am not sure.

Horticultural Correspondence College - Courses (hccollege.co.uk) 

Hope this helps

James

• Like 1