How does one keep logs at 20% at this time of year ?????

cessna

15 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

Sorry I misread your dry weight as 313 rather than 315

383-315=68

68/383=17.75% mc wwb

68/315=21.59% mc dwb

So your moisture meter looks accurate for this sample and seems to measure mc dwb

Many thanks. Might give Woodsure a call next week and find out if the do it by wet or dry basis. 

Edited by Woodworks

On 22/01/2021 at 21:27, openspaceman said:

See corrected calculation further down the posts

wet weight 383 minus  oven dry weight 313 gives water content 70. Water content 70 divided by wet weight 383 gives fraction of wet weight that is water 0.182767624 which is 18.28% Moisture Content Wet Weight Basis (mc wwb)

Water content 70 divided by oven dry weight 313 give the moisture content expressed as a fraction of the dry weight which is  0.2236421725 or 22.36% Moisture Content Dry Weight Basis (mc dwb)

Andrew you are spot on as they do calculate moisture content on a wet weight basis so our logs would comply. Very happy about this and have suggested to Woodsure that they make this clear. 

So to answer the OPs question

"How does one keep logs at 20% at this time of year ?????"

buy a new moisture meter thats calibrated to measure on a wet weight basis. Any recommends? 

Edited by Woodworks
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Woodworks said:

buy a new moisture meter thats calibrated to measure on a wet weight basis. Any recommends? 

cheaper to take the  reading you have from a moisture meter that is calibrated on dry weight, say 21%, divide it by 100+the 21%

21/121=0.173553719 or 17.36% rounded down

I've mentioned the wet basis vs dry basis before. It seems strange the legislation doesn't mention what basis the 20% refers to. Even a search on the Woodsure site doesn't find anything. However, this video, at about 1:15 in, does mention wet basis and it also mentions the point about moisture meters.

https://woodsure.co.uk/firewood-moisture-content/

I think most cheap meters measure on a dry basis as they are also aimed at construction although many don't state what basis they use.

Screen print from the video:

image.png.b08decf9047d6a9876b7ecb0fd057349.png

2 minutes ago, Paul in the woods said:

I've mentioned the wet basis vs dry basis before. It seems strange the legislation doesn't mention what basis the 20% refers to. Even a search on the Woodsure site doesn't find anything. However, this video, at about 1:15 in, does mention wet basis and it also mentions the point about moisture meters.

https://woodsure.co.uk/firewood-moisture-content/

I think most cheap meters measure on a dry basis as they are also aimed at construction although many don't state what basis they use.

Screen print from the video:

image.png.b08decf9047d6a9876b7ecb0fd057349.png

Hooray it must be a few years since I mentioned this.

20 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

Hooray it must be a few years since I mentioned this.

I probably picked it up from you.

I do wonder how these new regs will be enforced. Will trading standards have their own meters or will they expect suppliers to have one? If the latter then it would make sense to have one that clearly shows what basis it uses.

1 minute ago, Paul in the woods said:

I probably picked it up from you.

I do wonder how these new regs will be enforced. Will trading standards have their own meters or will they expect suppliers to have one? If the latter then it would make sense to have one that clearly shows what basis it uses.

They are plainly expecting woodsure to police it, trading standards will only get involved when a customer checks moisture content  and kicks off , then this business of using moisture meters designed for lumber and dry weight basis being used for logs will show up.

2 hours ago, openspaceman said:

They are plainly expecting woodsure to police it, trading standards will only get involved when a customer checks moisture content  and kicks off , then this business of using moisture meters designed for lumber and dry weight basis being used for logs will show up.

I think most of the policing done by woodsure will be via customer complaints. 

Looking further up at the costs you could screw a supplier by complaining as each one costs them money.

• Like 1