How does one keep logs at 20% at this time of year ?????

cessna

I was just getting depressed about this today. Spent some money on a pro weather station last year and these are the average external RH readings week by week going back from today 95%,90%,93%,95%,95%,95%,92%,91%,94%,95%,91%,94,93% and finally 14 weeks ago we had a week that was 86%. Put that together with these tables

and its quite clear you need a kiln to have logs sub 20% at this time of year 

Edited by Woodworks
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

I live in one of the wettest parts of Europe.

Sadly we dont get much sun either,so the key to drying logs outside is airflow. I use IBC crates placed on a bed of type 1 gravel,with a 10" gap between each one.Covered on three sides with a gap between the covering and the crates,as well as a gap between the roof and the top of the crates.

Dont split them too big and split them earlier than normal.I have already begun to split firewood for the coming winter.

8 hours ago, Woodworks said:

I was just getting depressed about this today. Spent some money on a pro weather station last year and these are the average external RH readings week buy week going back from today 95%,90%,93%,95%,95%,95%,92%,91%,94%,95%,91%,94,93% and finally 14 weeks ago we had a week that was 86%. Put that together with these tables

and its quite clear you need a kiln to have logs sub 20% at this time of year 

And those readings will be stretching back into the dry spell with frosts that we had at the start of the month too. It's much wetter now. 

I always thought that Scotland was wet, but we never had issues with things going mouldy when stored in sheds/barns over winter up there. Not the case here. 

1 minute ago, Scottish Cleaning Service said:

Its definitely the way forward if you are selling logs as a business but the cost of running the kiln would eat up most of the profit. When logs jump in price then it will be cost effective or if you can run one with minimum expense.

Not sure how much energy would be needed to get logs down from 22% to 19% for compliance. Probably not that much and I am sure plenty will pay more for "kiln dried" 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Paddy1000111 said:

Are they basing this measurement on core humidity or external humidity? If you have a wave form humidity tester that can test upto 40mm deep then that's true humidity but what if they get put outside for a bit and the outer few mil is wet... If you use a pin type tester then its variable. I don't see how they're going to enforce it... 

When Woodsure test your logs they split up to 5 in half with an axe and test the centre of each log to give an average MC.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, arboriculturist said:

When Woodsure test your logs they split up to 5 in half with an axe and test the centre of each log to give an average MC.

An Axe!

How much training, RA statements  and ambulances-on-standby  are needed to facilitate that endevour!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

To those of you that had logs down to 20%  say back in October for delivery through this winter,how do you  prevent the moisture content of your logs rising  through the winter months when the relative humidity of the  the outside air is  up to 95% plus most days?  I am sure that unless you have a heated or well insulated shed/barn the relative humidity inside the shed will be very high but perhaps I am incorrect. Personally I would think that the moisture content of processed logs stored in a barn ready for delivery  will fluctuate on an almost daily basis.   I do wonder if any of those people who conjure up  legislation have any hands on experience of dealing with the product that they are dealing with in the legislation.   
A bit like the Environment Agency  staff being so (Dim !!!!) dead against waterways  being kept cleaned out to keep water flowing well,  they cant seem to grasp the fact that a river is like a roof gutter, "If you let the gutter on your shed /house   fill up with leaves it overflows", rant over .   Sadly common sense does not prevail  any more.   

Just the way it is I’m afraid ... I don’t even want to measure ours now as it’s depressing that they where below 20% during the summer .. I would say 23% +now .. I’ve found though never to process damp logs as you get massive damp seems of mushrooms.

On the other analogy, Rivers have always flooded ,it’s just we got greedy and built on flood plains and have tried to claim and drain every bit of remaining land possible for agriculture making water flow quicker in to the main systems and flooding more likely.
This Feild was ancient pasture until 4 years ago when they tore it apart it’s structure with 400hp tractors de stoned it and drained it in to the nearest burn which now floods 40 houses then pushes the rest even quicker in to the main Tyne ... our rivers are knacked and I disagree completely that dredging them is the answer it just makes it go quicker to the next problem down stream. IMG_1611133307.029689.jpg
  • Like 5
  • Sad 1

Just the way it is I’m afraid ... I don’t even want to measure ours now as it’s depressing that they where below 20% during the summer .. I would say 23% +now .. I’ve found though never to process damp logs as you get massive damp seems of mushrooms.

On the other analogy, Rivers have always flooded ,it’s just we got greedy and built on flood plains and have tried to claim and drain every bit of remaining land possible for agriculture making water flow quicker in to the main systems and flooding more likely.
This Feild was ancient pasture until 4 years ago when they tore it apart it’s structure with 400hp tractors de stoned it and drained it in to the nearest burn which now floods 40 houses then pushes the rest even quicker in to the main Tyne ... our rivers are knacked and I disagree completely that dredging them is the answer it just makes it go quicker to the next problem down stream. IMG_1611133307.029689.thumb.jpg.6a8ba020b7f2c590852d4cd3a7b904f3.jpg
I completely agree with all your sentiments on flooding. It's all a problem of our own making, again. Trying to further control/constrain nature by dredging, straightening and embanking rivers is not the answer,. Instead we need to step back and let the natural environment regulate itself.
Also, we need more beavers! Seriously.
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1