Boot Advice Please

Witterings

Looking at getting some boots but don't want to spend a fortune so really looking for budget ... at this stage anyway.

Mainly for home use / crosscutting firewood but may try getting some part time work as a groundsman as well.

I prefer the more conventional looking boots rather than bright orange and would use them for other things than just whilst sawing, I was looking at the Oregon Yukon Class 1 aand whilst overall the reviews seem quite reasonable there are a few saying they don't last long and the sole comes away.

My saw is also about 26/27 m/s so theoretically should wear class 3 boots but saw some comments in a forum saying if you were to catch your boot with a saw it's highly unlikely it'd be when you're running it flat out so chances are it'll be less then 20 m/s which these are rated to.

Flip side I'm not looking to enter a fashion parade so maybe I should just get something like the Stihl Class 3 Rubber boots

Any has experience with Oregon's and any other advice or suggestions for alternatives would be much appreciated!

20 minutes ago, Witterings said:

Looking at getting some boots but don't want to spend a fortune so really looking for budget ... at this stage anyway.

Mainly for home use / crosscutting firewood but may try getting some part time work as a groundsman as well.

I prefer the more conventional looking boots rather than bright orange and would use them for other things than just whilst sawing, I was looking at the Oregon Yukon Class 1 aand whilst overall the reviews seem quite reasonable there are a few saying they don't last long and the sole comes away.

My saw is also about 26/27 m/s so theoretically should wear class 3 boots but saw some comments in a forum saying if you were to catch your boot with a saw it's highly unlikely it'd be when you're running it flat out so chances are it'll be less then 20 m/s which these are rated to.

Flip side I'm not looking to enter a fashion parade so maybe I should just get something like the Stihl Class 3 Rubber boots

Any has experience with Oregon's and any other advice or suggestions for alternatives would be much appreciated!

Chainsaw wellies ? NNNNOOOOOOOO !  Instruments of torture .

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I've been using Oregon Yukons for about 8 months now. I really like them. They are a little clunky compared to arbortec etc but you get what you pay for. The instep is enough for spikes and they are comfortable. I've not had any issues with them soaking up water from wet grass or getting wet in the rain either. They are absolutely massive though. Im usually a 10, I ordered a 9 and wish I ordered a 8.5. If you can I would go to a distributor and try some on for size. 

3 minutes ago, Witterings said:

😅 🤣 ... Literally just after I posted I started googling and within seconds discovered exactly that ... might be good in the bedroom for masochists with a rubber fetish though 🤣

Honestly bud . they are 'orrible . Get yourself over to DM Chainsaws in Walberton  and try some pairs on .

Edited by Stubby
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Paddy1000111 said:

I've been using Oregon Yukons for about 8 months now. I really like them. They are a little clunky compared to arbortec etc but you get what you pay for. The instep is enough for spikes and they are comfortable. I've not had any issues with them soaking up water from wet grass or getting wet in the rain either. They are absolutely massive though. Im usually a 10, I ordered a 9 and wish I ordered a 8.5. If you can I would go to a distributor and try some on for size. 

Seen a few posts saying teh same on teh sizing ... was going to get a 1/2 size under but sounds liek I should be looking for a size under .... this is where lockdown's such a pain otherwise I'd just find a stockist and try a few on.

Just now, Witterings said:

Seen a few posts saying teh same on teh sizing ... was going to get a 1/2 size under but sounds liek I should be looking for a size under .... this is where lockdown's such a pain otherwise I'd just find a stockist and try a few on.

I got mine on Amazon, you can get them from Screwfix too. Buy a size under and try them in the Screwfix carpark then take them back if they don't fit? 

3 minutes ago, Stubby said:

Honestly bud . they are 'orrible . Get yourself over to DM Chainsaws in Walberton  and try some pairs on .

Very recently bought a saw from them .... great guys .. their service is all pick up at the counter in the doorway at the moment not sure how they'd deal with trying on a few pairs ... I'll give them a shout Monday although theoreticlly shouldn't be driving there at the moment as it's probably not classed as "essential" travel.