Log Bags & Rats

Chipperclown

I tried storing bulk bags of seasoned logs back end of summer, stored for a few months ready for winter.  Most of them went mouldy at the bottom.  Never has a issue with rats and we have alot of rats. I tried vented bags and were fine however they stretch so giving more wood away.  I just process into ibc cages, store to dry out then bag up prior to delivery.  This way is a pain in the ass however can take all the birds nests, wasps, carcases, shit & sub standard timber out.  only top qualitys logs are then delivered to customers.  I need to speed this process up as spend all my time hand bagging up in winter.

Edited by AndyChalmers
edit

On 16/01/2021 at 17:13, Chipperclown said:

I am thinking about storing my firewood in bags to dry and store but wondering would/do rats chew through these bags?

Never had rats chew through nets sacks, had mice damage the odd one in the past but have traps set all the time now. Rats are established on property next to us because of bird feeders there and occasionally trap or shoot one if I see them about but haven’t seen any recently since feral ferret about. Bag some nets up in the summer for the following winter but when they’ve gone tend to bag as required. 

They chew through the bags for me. 

we had a feral ferret for a month or so- cheeky bugger came into the mess room and ate the cat food! Didn’t mind as it would keep rats down too but I think the cat and it had a disagreement cause I’ve only got one left 🤷‍♂️

The rats had a good time chewing the wiring harness of my Ford 8210 at one end of the old grain store where I store branch loggings in plastic net sacks which they also make holes and nest in.  I rigged up and old electric fencer to the Ford with the live to the Ford and I was wondering where to put the earth wire when I thought that the old metal dresser would be good.

Turned it on and there was a loud squeal from the tractor and a rat jumped out and every time it hit the floor it squealed and jumped in the air. It was funny to watch and there was squealing throughout the store which had metal ducts.

I suppose that the metal reinforcement in the concrete was also working and every time the first rat landed the current moved more easily through the rats body than through the concrete.

The other thing that I realised was that the tractor tyres do not insulate electricity as there is a certain amount of metal in them which is why they catch fire if you happen to hit a high voltage line with your hedge trimmer!

Have not seen a rat in that building since!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2