PTI Revision...

lum8erjack

Hi

I am currently studying to sit the PTI course in March. 

Just wondering if anyone can help me by giving any information as to what sort of areas would be best for me to revise or look at before going on the course?  I have a few books but don't know where to start 🤦🏼‍♂️

I know there are 20 questions as part of the exam and any info as to what to expect from the questions would be beneficial too. 

Many thanks 

Ross 😊

I did my PTI about 5 years ago but guess the syllabus probably hasn’t changed too much. I’d look at the following:

Decay fungi and strategies
Defects in trees
Pest and disease - OPM, ADB
How a tree functions - energy types
Branch unions/forks - Duncan Slater
Lever Arm forces
Mechanical defects - helical cracks, hazard beams etc
General overall of Laws surrounding trees - eg Highways Act, Occupiers Liability Act, Town and Country Planning Act
Start thinking about Hazard, Target and Risk in that order

Books like the following:
Principles of Tree hazard by Lonsdale
Mattheck’s books on VTA and Decay. His VTA one is decent (many others)
BS3998
NTSG Common Sense Risk
AA guide to VTA

Think of a systematic approach to inspections and work to that each time to ensure consistency. Think of a template or way to record and collate the data that works for you and print off some copies of the form and get used to working to them. If you can go and do some dummy surveys on some decent trees in woodlands or parks and record the data, if you have another Arb get them to have a look and evaluate. If not go back to said site when you have done your PTI and see what you would do differently

Probably many other things I’ve missed and I’m sure others will add! Enjoy the course, it’s a good one

• Like 2