Peacock in my lounge!

neiln

I've only found three butterflies in the logs this winter; normally I find at least a dozen.  But many wasps, mostly not large enough to be queens and without wings so what are they - workers that have tried to make it through the winter?

Hedgehogs; haven't seen one here for years but I was logsplitting near Gatwick in November and found a hibernating one at the bottom of the cord 'stack' (jumble).  So I rapidly built a deep bed of dry leaves, put him/her in them and covered/surrounded it with a barricade of rotting wooden panels, small logs etc.  Happy hedgehog sleeps hopefully.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, difflock said:

I dont know about insects but the cock Robin is getting wile territorial round the bird feeder.

Plus I saw a couple of trout rise in the pond yesterday.

Ours are fighting it out in the garden now , wot with the badger- its better than Netflix . K

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, neiln said:

I reckon she'll come out or already has.  I get feckin' loads of the black and yellow feckers every year.  4 so far this year.  I've had several disappear on top of kitchen cabinets for a few days then dozily emerge.  I've also had several crawl into the lounge Light rose before coming out again.  They don't seem any more awake even a few days later.

caught two on the lampshade this evening and put them out

• Like 1

A couple months back I heard a load of rustling in my fireplace. I spent about an hour taking the draught boards out the chimney and looking up there with torches and stuff. Turned out an adult hedgehog had come in the back door, jumped up onto the fireplace and buried itself in the wood pile! Had to lift the bugger out with welding gloves!  😂

Edited by Paddy1000111
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

We also get the odd flutterby and dopey queen wasp (thankfully no queen hornets yet).

What I've been wondering, is there any way to add something in the log store that is more appealing to the wildlife so it can safely over winter without being brought inside?

I might try a top shelf of small logs that are left until late spring.