Mot testing

Jack.P

You're probably right, I suppose Iron is a bit like aluminium in the sense that once Iron creates that oxide layer it's protected by it. 

Stainless definitely needs passivating after welding, grinding and cutting though (unless you leave it to naturally form). It was one of the things I used to do, dipping it in hydroflouric acid which was F-ing nasty. Had to have calcium carbonate gel available as if it got on the skin it starts to deteriorate bone bypassing flesh

• Sad 1

Had a mk3 Hilux a few years back. When I had to get the mot (a mate did it before hand, but retired) I took it to another local garage and told them if anything needs sorting I'll do it. Anyway as I expected it failed. When I went back he said come with me. It was up on the ramp with everything marked out and he talked me through how to fix everything(far better than a Haynes manual) That's the service you want from your mechanic knowing their not getting anything else from you. Just a bit of advice can mean a lot and they still get work to this day 

• Like 4

Remember as a nipper helping my dad to change a spring. It was placed on the ground on a narrow path between two walls and compressed with a car jack using fence wire to hold it. Have spring compressors these days so much less exciting.

The noise in your vid Paddy sounds like a headboard knocking!

• Like 1

I pick up 3 to 4 a week they normally been driving with strange noise then pop goes the front tyre,even had 1 customer took punctured wheel of then called as couldn't get spare on I pointed out could be that coil spring sticking that caused puncture ,iv seen them where people have turned them round and cable tied them in place crazy

• Haha 1

Best bet in my book is to take your vehicles to a place that only does MOTs. I've been doing this years and no complaints- well worth the 25 minute drive for me. No bull, no sales, the most they'll do is adjust a headlight or change a bulb so it passes. My local place is now Motest, and I think they are nationwide.

Edited by doobin
  • Like 2

On 16/01/2021 at 19:15, spudulike said:

Found the end of one of my springs next to the car a couple of years ago. As you say, fun job with the compressors!

I had 2 broken front springs on the Berlingo. They are big springs and notorious for letting go in the wind up compressors so I invested in a foot operated hydraulic one for £110 and it was still cheaper than getting them done at a garage. It's done a few now so not been wasted. 

On the advisories front a friend of ours used to have a used car lot and when he took cars for the MOT he told the tester not to put advisories down or he would be swapping garages. He put a fair bit of money their way so they were reluctant to lose his trade.

Edited by peatff
  • Like 1