Recommend me some tyres

Big J

Fitted a set of Maxxis AT-771 on SWB Shogun 4Work replacing BFG-ATs, nowhere near as aggressive and i doubt they will be as good off road but handle and drive well and have coped with everything so far.  BFGs have just got stupid price, I was quoted £200+vat ea.  The Maxxis were half the money, plus free puncture repair for life of tyres.

I'd recommend having two sets of tyres. One for winter use and one for summer. All season/weather tyres aren't great on ice and you need proper winter tyres for those kind of conditions. For winter use on ice and snow, you need a tyre that has a soft rubber mixture and is siped. Studs being an added bonus. Look for the snow crystal and not just M&S markings. For summer use on vans and trucks, get all terrains from a well known manufacturer. BFG, Cooper or Nokian for example.

1 minute ago, HuntingHicap said:

Are you based in the uk? Studs aren't legal on uk roads afaik, we usually have a maximum of about 4 weeks of snow/and or ice in england, not sure about the outer edges mind. I run mud terrains on my 110 as in wet mud a/ts clog up too fast.

No, I'm not based in the UK. I am from Norway.
That's the reason I mentioned studs as an added bonus, I wasn't too sure if they were legal or not in the UK. I had a feeling they weren't. Siped tyres with a soft rubber mixture is usually sufficient.

1 hour ago, Ferguson system said:

I'd recommend having two sets of tyres. One for winter use and one for summer. All season/weather tyres aren't great on ice and you need proper winter tyres for those kind of conditions. For winter use on ice and snow, you need a tyre that has a soft rubber mixture and is siped. Studs being an added bonus. Look for the snow crystal and not just M&S markings. For summer use on vans and trucks, get all terrains from a well known manufacturer. BFG, Cooper or Nokian for example.

I think that is a very sensible policy, but there just isn't enough snow or ice here in the SW of England to warrant that. We've had a fair bit this year, but last winter saw about 4 decent frosts in total.

I’d encourage the two sets anyway. It’s good incentive to keep on top of pressures, rotating them etc, you always have good spares and you can take wheels for new tyres without the vehicle. Nice little stores of wealth too, having tyres bought ahead and at convenient (discounted sometimes) times instead of buying in a hurry because you need one now. Even if you only have winters on for December and January, that’s two months in which you can buy summer tyres at your leisure and convenience.

• Like 3

Are you based in the uk? Studs aren't legal on uk roads afaik, we usually have a maximum of about 4 weeks of snow/and or ice in england, not sure about the outer edges mind. I run mud terrains on my 110 as in wet mud a/ts clog up too fast.

All terrains are shit in the same way all seasons are a bit shit. Compromises with tyres don’t work. People primarily buy all terrains for looks.

3 minutes ago, AHPP said:

All terrains are shit in the same way all seasons are a bit shit. Compromises with tyres don’t work. People primarily buy all terrains for looks.

There is a huge difference between all season and standard summer in the snow. 

We had a Citroen C4 Grand Picasso some years ago. Bought with the standard summer tyres on it. During December one year, I ordered all season tyres from Germany and in the intervening time, had 2 inches of snow. The lane up to our house was 150m long, slightly uphill and had a sharp corner in it so you couldn't carry any speed. It took 15 minutes of wriggling to get the car onto the drive, at which point the ABS and traction controll had a melt down and the car had to be recovered to Citroen.

The tyres arrived whilst it was there, I had them fitted, we had a repetition of the snow a few weeks later and the car went up the drive like the snow wasn't there. 

I am sure that full winter tyres are much better (I've had snow tyres on the Citroen Relay van before and they were excellent) but all season are miles better than summer tyres in winter. 

5 minutes ago, Big J said:

There is a huge difference between all season and standard summer in the snow. 

We had a Citroen C4 Grand Picasso some years ago. Bought with the standard summer tyres on it. During December one year, I ordered all season tyres from Germany and in the intervening time, had 2 inches of snow. The lane up to our house was 150m long, slightly uphill and had a sharp corner in it so you couldn't carry any speed. It took 15 minutes of wriggling to get the car onto the drive, at which point the ABS and traction controll had a melt down and the car had to be recovered to Citroen.

The tyres arrived whilst it was there, I had them fitted, we had a repetition of the snow a few weeks later and the car went up the drive like the snow wasn't there. 

I am sure that full winter tyres are much better (I've had snow tyres on the Citroen Relay van before and they were excellent) but all season are miles better than summer tyres in winter. 

I agree that all season tyres are better than standard summer tyres. They will do ok on snow as long as it's not packed. The problem is on ice and with changing weather & temperatures. That's where winter tyres shine. @AHPP has many good points.
Having two sets of tyres allows you to rotate, check tyre pressure and wear. At the same time it gives you the opportunity to check the brakes on the vehicle, grease the liners for the brakepads, check wheel bearings, rust on brakelines, etc that would otherwise have been neglected.

Yes, it costs more to have two sets. On the bright side. - You save on tyre wear on each set, optimized setup for each season, can keep up with maintentance before something fails.

• Like 1