Recommend me some tyres

Big J

@woodwizzard I'm glad you like your Yokohamas:  I put a set on my Nav last July and I'm not sure they're much better than a standard road tyre.

I hitched up my 2 ton tipper empty the other week on flat wet grass and had to use 4WD to get it moving!

Perhaps I'm being unfair as I had BFGs previously and will go back to them at the next change I think.

• Like 1

I had pretty much the same critera for my little Corsa van. After running winter tyres for the winter, I though, why not all year? Grip is so much better in muddy lanes. Ended up with Nokian Weatherproof and they've been good and worn well. Not used them offroad much in the wet but they look to be about 80/20 road/offroad.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164552964274

Screenshot 2021-01-16 at 11.03.05.png

Edited by doobin
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, nepia said:

@woodwizzard I'm glad you like your Yokohamas:  I put a set on my Nav last July and I'm not sure they're much better than a standard road tyre.

I hitched up my 2 ton tipper empty the other week on flat wet grass and had to use 4WD to get it moving!

Perhaps I'm being unfair as I had BFGs previously and will go back to them at the next change I think.

I wouldn't run them on a full size 4x4 as I prefer M/Ts, and as I said, they are not an aggressive A/T. As J is looking for 80% road I think they fit the bill. We are talking about a 2wd Berlingo van after all 😜

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, steve collins said:

How are you finding this feature on the berlingo? as im due to change from a hilux soon, is it as good as they say?  cheers

Pretty decent, to be fair. It certainly goes further off road than a normal van, it has extra ground clearance and a skid plate. 

For day to day driving, it's much more practical and comfortable than a Hilux. I'm 2.03m, and the driving position is great for me, there are 3 seats up front and the storage space in the back is very good. Also 45-55mpg depending on how you drive it. I have the 130bhp engine and it's brisk. It's also £10k cheaper than an equivilently specced pickup.

I have a lot of extras on mine, but I wish I'd specced the EAT-8 Auto gearbox. The manual is fine, but having since driven a Peugeot 308 with the same gearbox, I wish I'd stumped up the extra £1k for it. 

• 2 weeks later...

After a couple of weeks of indecision, I decided (rather than ordering them online) to support one of my local tyre places and am getting a set of BF Goodrich Urban Terrain tyres. 90% on road, 10% off (though a fairly aggressive tread pattern) and all season.

What was staggering to me was the chap said they hadn't sold any all season tyres since before Christmas. It's been pretty frosty/snowy/icy/slushy for almost that entire period and people still don't think that they might want suitable tyres.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Big J said:

After a couple of weeks of indecision, I decided (rather than ordering them online) to support one of my local tyre places and am getting a set of BF Goodrich Urban Terrain tyres. 90% on road, 10% off (though a fairly aggressive tread pattern) and all season.

What was staggering to me was the chap said they hadn't sold any all season tyres since before Christmas. It's been pretty frosty/snowy/icy/slushy for almost that entire period and people still don't think that they might want suitable tyres.

They look good J . Let us know how you get on with them bud.

2 hours ago, Stubby said:

They look good J . Let us know how you get on with them bud.

Will do. 

The tipping point for having to put an end to my procrastination was having to grit a snowy/icy hill yesterday ahead of getting up it with the van. I did get 1/4 the way up on the first attempt, but just spun out. Tyres on 2-3mm, even if they are all season, just aren't that useful.

• Like 1