Rotate freely or hydraulic log grab

Gav Green Man

I would say just buy the best you can , so that would be a hydraulic one, if you bought a freely rotating one i can safely say you will think its ok at the start but it wont be long before you realise its just a pain in the arse when you have to keep jumping on and off to rotate the manual one to the right position, then when you are coming through a tight space and you have a log bigger/wider than machine you will need to get off the machine and buy the time you get back in the seat Jim McGravity will of interfeared and the log will be back in the same position, to just push a button is much easier and far more productive and less stressful, just buy the fully rotating hydraulic grab, you wont regret it, was there not one for sale on here around or just after christmas or i could of seen it on fleebay or some where seem to remember it was around the 2k mark and looked as if it had hardly been used,

Thanks for that, both the free rotate and the hydraulic rotate of the avant log grab have a toothed grip near base so log can be lifted then as logs are usuealy longer front end gravity will lift the shorter back end into the toothed base wedging it in position if aligned. Granted thats the theory, also guessing its gonna be easier to get on the log with the hydraulic rotate.

This is something thats all new to me as i have only just purchased the machine.

1 hour ago, Gav Green Man said:

Thanks for that, both the free rotate and the hydraulic rotate of the avant log grab have a toothed grip near base so log can be lifted then as logs are usually longer front end gravity will lift the shorter back end into the toothed base wedging it in position if aligned. Granted thats the theory, also guessing its gonna be easier to get on the log with the hydraulic rotate.

This is something thats all new to me as i have only just purchased the machine.

5 minutes ago, Gav Green Man said:

looks like spend the extra.

thanks for advice.

just out of interest whats the difference in cost between the 2 ? 

i was pricing grabs and rotators early last year for a project that got put on hold and i found there was a fair difference between different makes but you get what you pay for in this world,