Shredder/chipper recommendation

GGS

I own a gardening company and I currently trailer all my rubbish away and have a bonfire. We've had some complaint issues with burning so I'm looking at changing the way I dispose of my waste. I've seen many "cheap shredders" on ebay but I'm unsure if it'll just be a waste of money. I need a machine that is small enough to be taken through gate access and that's capable of handling general garden cutting along with some larger stuff too. Had a quote on a greenmech cs80 earlier today but really don't know how this machine compares to the camon c150 or the timberwolf tw13/75 all of which seem to be of a similar price. I hadn't planned on spending as much as these machines are but would rather spend a bit more and have something that'll last. 

Camon is a bit of an unknown, Greenmech well known well supported and has good resale. The 13/75 isn't a great choice, less easy to feed and spits everything out too near the floor so you've got another job moving the chip.

If you're gardening though you should keep an eye on the difference between a shredder and a chipper. These are wood chippers, which are less good on hedge cuttings/soft material and can't handle any soil at all because they have sharp knife blades. Shredders with hammers are slower on wood but better on the soft and dirty. Depends what kind of garden work you're doing really, horses for courses and all that.

• Like 2

A bit pie in the sky probably but could it work for you if you shredded - shredded, not chipped - the finer green stuff but still burnt the bigger stuff?  If so you need a shredder, not a chipper.  Fewer cleaner bonfires too.

The Greenmech (or other brand drum style) will wipe the floor with the Timberwolf as long as it’s kept sharp. Gravity fed drum chippers like the cs100 are great chippers, gravity fed disk chippers like the Timberwolf are crap in comparison to use, but will get you there in the end. Both types will not cope with soil and roots or old fencing etc with nails in (that might be obvious but I’ve seen some random stuff put in chippers). 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Will C said:

The Greenmech (or other brand drum style) will wipe the floor with the Timberwolf as long as it’s kept sharp. Gravity fed drum chippers like the cs100 are great chippers, gravity fed disk chippers like the Timberwolf are crap in comparison to use, but will get you there in the end. Both types will not cope with soil and roots or old fencing etc with nails in (that might be obvious but I’ve seen some random stuff put in chippers). 

Thats great thank you. I think I have made a decision. Its made me think about what waste I have. The branches etc are much bulkier than my green waste. I was looking into the cs80 but they haven't been out long enough to gather many reviews so going to dig deep and invest in a cs100 which has a proven track record. This will save me time in mucking around with a trailer and double handling when I have a bigger job . Even if I only use occasionally I think this is a sound investment. I've used chippers before so had never planned on chucking soil or crap through. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1