Stihl ms881 and Logosol F2+

Rough Hewn

I'd like a decent video talking about the basics of milling? When I was looking around there wasn't anything anywhere explaining the different types of mill, chain types, how to set up a basic alaskan style mill and make the first couple of cuts, pointing out traps for young players etc. All the ones I found are very commercial and don't really explain a lot, they make it look easy to sell a product? 

Edited by Paddy1000111
  • Like 3

34 minutes ago, Paddy1000111 said:

I'd like a decent video talking about the basics of milling? When I was looking around there wasn't anything anywhere explaining the different types of mill, chain types, how to set up a basic alaskan style mill and make the first couple of cuts, pointing out traps for young players etc. All the ones I found are very commercial and don't really explain a lot, they make it look easy to sell a product? 

I always though the ones from Chainsawbars are pretty on point.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Bob_z_l said:

I always though the ones from Chainsawbars are pretty on point.

They aren't bad at all! What I mean is that when I decided to look into milling there's no "Here are the basics" type videos (maybe there is but I didn't find them) which say about the basic mill types and their pros/cons, what saw to choose, the types of chains, do you need an external oiler etc? Like a all inclusive very basic introduction to milling and the terms? When I first started looking into milling I had 0 idea what I was talking about and spent hours and hours watching random videos and reading posts on here and odd website blogs trying to work out the basics. It could be easily put into a 10 minute video talking about the basics to getting set up! 

Edited by Paddy1000111
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Paddy1000111 said:

They aren't bad at all! What I mean is that when I decided to look into milling there's no "Here are the basics" type videos (maybe there is but I didn't find them) which say about the basic mill types and their pros/cons, what saw to choose, the types of chains, do you need an external oiler etc? Like a all inclusive very basic introduction to milling and the terms? When I first started looking into milling I had 0 idea what I was talking about and spent hours and hours watching random videos and reading posts on here and odd website blogs trying to work out the basics. It could be easily put into a 10 minute video talking about the basics to getting set up! 

You are bang on. 
Main reason I follow what @Rough Hewn posts.

Also reading what some other Millers that post regularly put on here.   Trigger , Les etc  

• Like 2

It’s a good idea.
But that’s several videos, or one very long one.
Which mill....
Which saw....
Which chain.....
How do I set up the cut...
Hmmmm.
That’ll take a few weeks maybe months.
In the meantime yiu guys are welcome to message me any questions or better post them on this thread or today’s milling thread?
[emoji106]

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Paddy1000111 said:

Ask rough, he’d done a bit with some guys, then I came along and (edit... we played a bit 🤣 with wood and stuffs in the woods ) I showed him the malloff book and the rest is the last 10yrs.. some guys just get the easy sled ride on youtoob..🤩

Edited by Wonky
Edit
  • Like 4

nice video, noyiced you switched from clockwise winding the winch to counter clockwise, I find that more natural when milling as well, the string logosol supply with the kit, swap it out for some paracord, the little bit of give in the paracord smooths out any variation in your winding, makes the cut even smoother, start the cut, wind in hard, then just keep the tension on, the saw will find its own feed rate, ......loving that bit of yew, really nicely figured, just a shame there was no blue or purple in it,  keep up the good work

• Like 2

How do you find the 881 in comparison to the 880 ?? Vibration and air filter is what I’m not keen on with my old 088... are they improved enough to notice a difference?

I’ve never owned an 088 so difficult to compare.
The vibration isn’t really a problem for me as mainly it’s milling.
However the 881 is much more ergonomic, it feels so different to an 880.
Much much better, like a 500i/661 on steroids.
The air filter is the same HD2 as the 880 etc.
If your ever near Halifax, pop in and have a try bud. [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]
  • Like 3