Central pivot stump grinding

daveindales

12 hours ago, Dan Maynard said:

I would say on smaller stumps the central pivot makes less difference. When you get a reasonable pile of grindings, or do something like a cherry where you had to chase out roots so you're working across a trench, then the central pivot is absolutely brilliant and massively reduces the physical effort of the job.

I've used a Predator 460 which had pivot and electric self drive, also a really good back saving feature. I've not used FSI but believe build quality is better, Predator have their fans though.

Would you buy another 460?

Would you buy another 460?
I just hire the one I use, and the place turn them over fairly often so always quite a new machine and anyway maintenance not my problem. They do have niggly things wrong though, on the other hand it's a stump grinder so always a hard life.

Would I buy one...

Well it grinds a lot quicker and with less effort than a Predator 360, from that point of view it's a good machine. Because I hire it I tend to rack up the jobs so I've run it all day and even then not got sore shoulders or back, no humping and lumping it around because of the self drive and that includes pulling itself on and off the trailer.

It'll go through a normal gate if there's a straight run but there are gardens with corners that you can get a 360 into that you can't get a 460 into.

So as an only grinder, probably not. As a second, bigger grinder I would definitely want to try out the FSI to see what you get in terms of quality for the extra money.
  • Like 1

Hello,

I've been running an FSIB20 now since Sept 2018 and have 97.5 hours on the tacho.

I think it an efficient and well built machine though I wish I had bought the B22 for it's self propelled.

No breakages apart from the Honda engine pull start at 50 hours. I replaced it with a Chinesium copy, then again at 75 hours and now I just use the old pull cord instead.

For the outlay, it makes a decent profit.

I've a '2 day job' coming up, all laurel hedge stumps, none of which are very large so it will fly through them but the sheer number means I'll spread them over the 2 days rather than wear myself out trying to cram them all in on one.

I've done several monster stumps too, prepping by digging around and cutting low, ground them out properly taking around 5 hours plus clear up.

I cannot economically rent a larger machine locally and for the number of stumps I do, I'm prepared to suffer a little longer.

Stuart

• Like 1

i had a 450, moved to a 460 and then to a FSIB22

dont get the predator

Great machine but they are flimsy and just end up breaking constantly!

fsi much better build. although smaller its almost the same weight. i had mine predator rebuilt and new bits galore before selling it and it still just didnt last.

Also i had to always bring a tape measure to see if the 460 would get through gates, the fsi fits pretty much everywhere! in the last few years i think ive not got through 2 gates tops!

And trust me u dont really miss the power. 

all that happens i u end up pushing the predator to do more and it breaks.

And the cable system is beyond terrible! I was a through and through fan of the predator but they were not interested in updating and it shows.

to date nothing has broken ( apart from clumsy employees breaking off the choke lever but still starts first time every time). 

Makes me wonder about the bigger one! 

dont get the predator

fsi much better build. although smaller its almost the same weight. i had mine predator rebuilt and new bits galore before selling it and it still just didnt last.

Also i had to always bring a tape measure to see if the 460 would get through gates, the fsi fits pretty much everywhere! in the last few years i think ive not got through 2 gates tops!

And trust me u dont really miss the power. my crew were really sceptical about the lack of power but once used never looked back.

And the cable system is beyond terrible! I was a through and through fan of the predator but they were not interested in updating and it shows.

to date nothing has broken ( apart from clumsy employees breaking off the choke lever but still starts first time every time). 

Oh and the centre pivot makes a massive difference. There are times u wont use it but 99% u will. and the wheel brake system helps massively to prevent falling into holes or repositioning the machine .

hire one of each if pos and you will see.

3 minutes ago, jose said:

dont get the predator

And trust me u dont really miss the power. 

My mates one keeps having problems with the brake, som the machine moves while grinding. He complained to predator, and they  admitted they were crap. They have no intentions of sorting the issue. I wouldn't buy one

Same
Here mine broke twice u der warranty and had two circuit boards both under warranty the break system is terrible mine kept locking on and you had to kick it off under the machine right bloody pain never go back to a predator. Demoed a p38 not impressed at all love our jo beau very cleverly thought out and global are amazing for teeth etc and controls very well thought out

4 hours ago, jose said:

dont get the predator

And trust me u dont really miss the power. my crew were really sceptical about the lack of power but once used never looked back.

Oh and the centre pivot makes a massive difference. There are times u wont use it but 99% u will. and the wheel brake system helps massively to prevent falling into holes or repositioning the machine .

hire one of each if pos and you will see.

Just out of interest, if the teeth are sharp how long would it take to grind about a 2ft conifer? I've heard a couple of people say, don't worry about the lack of HP. I guess a demo is the best option

1 hour ago, daveindales said:

Just out of interest, if the teeth are sharp how long would it take to grind about a 2ft conifer? I've heard a couple of people say, don't worry about the lack of HP. I guess a demo is the best option

I once demoed a B20 with blunt teeth on a cherry.

Based on that I'd never have bought one.

I put alot of store on hp at the time.

Then I was forced one day into renting one, brand new with fresh teeth.

Without the pressure of 2 reps breathing down my neck wanting to go to lunch I had the time to get used to the machine and with 'sharp' teeth it was an epiphany for me.

I've usually run the QRMS teeth for economy but keep a stock of wear sharp for more fibrous stumps.

I've never gone into sharpening teeth either.

I do think though, a self propelled B22 with a slightly higher hp than even it has now would be just the ticket.

Silly thing is, when people view the grinder, clients and especially commercial clients, they are not convinced it is a serious machine and refuse to be open to it's possibilities.

Stuart

• Like 1

16 hours ago, dig-dug-dan said:

My mates one keeps having problems with the brake, som the machine moves while grinding. He complained to predator, and they  admitted they were crap. They have no intentions of sorting the issue. I wouldn't buy one

Yep they were never interested and in fact the old boss would try and blame any issues on me.

Asked at the Arb show one year if they planned to update but simple answer then was no.

The sales man (max) was decent and the first one i bought had electrical issues from the go and they swapped the whole machine within a week so from that i cant moan.

Also remember its a rebranded machine from Europe ( i forget the name) that they respray, chuck some stickers on and up the price by a chunk!

Sharp teeth is paramount though, on any grinder. I demo the fsi on scotts pine which i find to be a pain to grind and was impressed from the off.

As previously mentioned you do need to regularly scrape out the grindings but thats no issue.

The other big difference is the rubber guards, we would break them monthly on the predator, in over 2 years not broken one. 

Not tried a Jo Beau one so cant say about them but i know dean is a decent guy and wouldnt hesitate to recommend him.