Central pivot stump grinding

daveindales

28 minutes ago, Scottish Cleaning Service said:

I bought one of those root saw blades for my stihl saw. I'm going to try that and my chainsaw to see if its any easier. I watched a brick layer take a few inches off of a foundation I had laid to high. He cut slots on the concrete and hit the side of them and they simply broke off. Not sure if the base of a tree is any harder than the rest or because its next to earth which blunts the chainsaw. 🤔 

If you're talking Terrasaur type, while they're fantastic cutting tools, I've not had great success using one to lower stumps, as they tell you on the packaging. The theory is good, but in my experience, in practice not so good. 

• Like 1

I would say on smaller stumps the central pivot makes less difference. When you get a reasonable pile of grindings, or do something like a cherry where you had to chase out roots so you're working across a trench, then the central pivot is absolutely brilliant and massively reduces the physical effort of the job.

I've used a Predator 460 which had pivot and electric self drive, also a really good back saving feature. I've not used FSI but believe build quality is better, Predator have their fans though.