Volunteering

Treacy

Hello, new to this site and not normally a person to post something publicly, but here we go. I am 26, have only ever been a woodworker/carpenter and am wanting a change in career. I am looking into doing my basic courses so I can legally work as a tree surgeon. However I am keen to get a little bit of experience and am looking for someone/a company based in Wiltshire who could do with a hand or don't mind someone joining them on weekends, (still have my current job during the week). I’m not looking for any money for this as I know I have no experience and am going to need a little guidance at first, but hey! I’m offering free labour so I can gain an insight into what goes on before I commit to the courses. 

Thanks 

Treacy

Edited by Treacy
  • Like 3

If I was you I would stick to what your doing until this lockdown eases. It hard finding work even with tickets and 16 years in the game. Good luck though.
I'd be more optimistic, people are still advertising for staff in various places but maybe patchy. Lockdown easing might be a long time, I'd start the ball rolling if you can.
  • Like 1

Thank you for your replies so far!! I have reached out to a few people i know who have also reached out to who they know and i may have a few weekends helping out with a couple of firms!! Great stuff so far! Have also booked myself on to old unit CS30,31 new units 20-12 in may as that is the soonest i could get with the person i want to do it with. 

Again thanks for the replies! The ball is rolling which is a good feeling!

Hi Treacy, good to hear that you found weekend volunteering work and are booked onto the courses - that's quick progress!  Quick question: I run a company in London and one of my guys is new to tree surgery (he has also been volunteering with me for a few days here and there) and would like to book on to the NPTC courses CS30-39.  Would you mind letting me know who you decided to book with and why you chose them?  Thanks 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, orang-utan said:

Hi Treacy, good to hear that you found weekend volunteering work and are booked onto the courses - that's quick progress!  Quick question: I run a company in London and one of my guys is new to tree surgery (he has also been volunteering with me for a few days here and there) and would like to book on to the NPTC courses CS30-39.  Would you mind letting me know who you decided to book with and why you chose them?  Thanks 

For me looking at them as well ... location will unfortunately probably be my deciding factor. Some of the courses are 5 days so unless you can commute on a daily basis the cost's going to go through the roof if you have to pay for a room as well and would probably end up eating out / getting takeaways the whole time.

5 minutes ago, Witterings said:

For me looking at them as well ... location will unfortunately probably be my deciding factor. Some of the courses are 5 days so unless you can commute on a daily basis the cost's going to go through the roof if you have to pay for a room as well and would probably end up eating out / getting takeaways the whole time.

Where are you based again? 

11 minutes ago, Witterings said:

Does the 5 day course include the assessment or is it an additional day?

There are training providers that offer a combined price for training, assessment and accommodation.

I know Roland Heming does that, and the total price including accommodation is cheaper than the course alone elsewhere 

Orang-utan, i am doing my course with the above mention Roland Heming. I chose him because i have a few friends that have done it through him and his company, after speaking to him i felt really positive about what he offers too as well as the great reviews/recommendation. I am doing my two courses combined so its a little cheaper and as Dough Tait has mentioned he offers accommodation too. I will attach a link to his website if that helps. 

WWW.ROLANDHEMING.CO.UK

chainsaw and arboriculture training and assessment, course costs, venues, nptc certification, climbing and aerial rescue

• Like 1