Stihl MSA 220 C-B Chainsaw Reviews??

Chipperclown

8 hours ago, Witterings said:

I'm not sure exactly what the difference is but believe they're pretty similar to LiPo's which don't like being fully discharged and ideally not fully charged either and a slower charge rate is better than a fast charge.

If you're leaving them for any period of time without being used ideally they should be left 1/2 charged ... leaving them fully charged creates a build up of internal resistance that kills them probably quicker than anything else.

The ego batteries have an inbuilt timer, if they are left unused for a good length of time, they partially discharge. Clever stuff. From the user manual. 

"NOTICE: This battery pack is equipped with an advanced

self-maintenance function to extend the battery life.

Depending on the battery charge,it will automatically

performa self-discharge operation after one month of

storage. After this self-maintenance, the battery pack

will enter sleep mode and maintain 30% of its charge

capacity. If stored for a month or longer, fully recharge the

battery before the next use. (Not applicable to BA2240T

which is equipped with other advanced technology to

extend the battery life.)

It is not necessary to run down the battery pack charge

before recharging. The Lithium-Ion battery can be

charged at any time and will not develop a “memory”

when charged after only a partial discharge. Use the

power indicator to determine when the battery pack

needs to be recharged."

• Like 2

Im sure I read somewhwere better to not fully discharge batteries as makes them last longer.

Also temp is important

WWW.TECHREPUBLIC.COM

There's lots of press about how to conserve battery power, but not much about how to take care of your batteries. Here are...

What the ego does matches with what they recommned here. Clever

Battery chargers should have an inbuild way of measuring capacity imo, don't think it would be that difficult...

Edited by Stere

1 hour ago, Unframed Dave said:

The ego batteries have an inbuilt timer, if they are left unused for a good length of time, they partially discharge. Clever stuff. From the user manual. 

Ah OK ... sounds like they've copied the technology from Drones .... DJI have been doing this for quite a while for their drone batteries, you can program how long you want them to stay fully charged (alwyas set mine to 3 days) before discharging to storage charge .... personally I wouldn't want to leave it as long as 30 days but that's better than forgetting about them for 6 months. 

It says it's not necessary to run down the battery pack as it won't create a memory like the older NiCad batteries do but if you only ever run it down to 30% capacity it'll last longer than running it down to zero every time.

EDIT: The reply above got posted while I was typing but confirms what I was saying.

Edited by Witterings
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Andy U said:

The 220 is more powerful and it uses 3/8 .50 chain.
Btw these saws are designed so that the chain oil lasts about the same as battery. I use Plantotac 68 bio chain oil because I work in an environmentally sensitive area. I find it works well with these saws.

I am finding that on hard use cutting big stuff you can get 2 bats to a tank.

On lighter use the second bat would run it dry after about 2 bars of charge.