Stihl MSA 220 C-B Chainsaw Reviews??

Chipperclown

Yes it would be interesting to see some research on this. I have solar panels which power the charger on most days. I have used my MSA 160 and 200 quite a bit over the last couple of years. Batteries are still working well and holding charge. When carving the saw is almost constantly on and I think I must get close to 40 mins use out of a battery.

56 minutes ago, Andy U said:

Yes it would be interesting to see some research on this. I have solar panels which power the charger on most days. I have used my MSA 160 and 200 quite a bit over the last couple of years. Batteries are still working well and holding charge. When carving the saw is almost constantly on and I think I must get close to 40 mins use out of a battery.

I can measure how many kWh are needed to charge a battery if that would be of help? 

Do you run them flat? I have two batteries for my 120 and swap them as often as possible so I always have as much charge on tap as possible. Read somewhere that it may be better for lithium ion batteries to be fully discharged though.

19 minutes ago, AHPP said:

Read somewhere that it may be better for lithium ion batteries to be fully discharged though.

I thought Lithium ion batteries had no memory unlike the older NiCad ones .  If fact some one said to me its better to vary the charge interval . Some times from fully discharged and sometimes from partially discharged .    

• Like 1

Yes, I normally fully discharge the batteries. I have 3 AP300 batteries and one AP300S battery for my MSA 220. The AP300 works in the 220 but don’t allow for full power.

Does the AP300S give the same, more or less runtime at that full power?

The 220 is more powerful and it uses 3/8 .50 chain.
Btw these saws are designed so that the chain oil lasts about the same as battery. I use Plantotac 68 bio chain oil because I work in an environmentally sensitive area. I find it works well with these saws.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AHPP said:

Do you run them flat? I have two batteries for my 120 and swap them as often as possible so I always have as much charge on tap as possible. Read somewhere that it may be better for lithium ion batteries to be fully discharged though.

I'm not sure exactly what the difference is but believe they're pretty similar to LiPo's which don't like being fully discharged and ideally not fully charged either and a slower charge rate is better than a fast charge.

If you're leaving them for any period of time without being used ideally they should be left 1/2 charged ... leaving them fully charged creates a build up of internal resistance that kills them probably quicker than anything else.

Edited by Witterings
  • Like 2