Stihl MSA 220 C-B Chainsaw Reviews??

Chipperclown

Any easy way to test % of battery degradation?

Im sure my makita 5.0ah ones don't last quite as  long now after 2yr use, as compared to when they were new.

With the price on thoose backpacks would be nice to be able to test in few yrs time how well they are performing compared to new.

Edited by Stere

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, arboriculturist said:

Ok - but what happened to the MAKITA DUC353Z 35CM you bought ?

Sold along with MS 181

Nothing wrong with the Makita and it's great value but not enough oomf or staying power for the jobs I do. It made me see how far battery saws had come so took the leap to a top of line one. Also the MSA 220  made the  181 redundant. 

Edited by Woodworks
  • Like 1

I have a MSA 160 and a 200 which I use with carving bars. However I have had a MSA220 for over a year now which I use for general forestry work and cross cutting.
Originally I had the 16” Stihl bar and chain but have now modified it to use a 14” Sugihara bar with a Husqvarna X- Cut S93-G 3/8” 0.50 x 50 Lo Pro chain. Much better performance and cutting power.
These saws are expensive to start with but seem to require very little maintenance and over time there is a big saving on fuel (especially if you use Aspen).

46 minutes ago, Woodworks said:

Sold along with MS 181

Nothing wrong with the Makita and it's great value but not enough oomf or staying power for the jobs I do. It made me see how far battery saws had come so took the leap to a top of line one. Also the MSA 220  made the  181 redundant. 

Fair enough.

Yes the Makita is a reasonable although the wheel chain tensioner is Mickey Mouse. For £126 I paid for the bare saw, already having batteries made it a good buy. Not very refined like a Stihl though.

Do you run the Stihl PM3 full chisel 3/8 chain on a 14" bar? I was thinking 12" bar may be better suited?

1 hour ago, arboriculturist said:

Fair enough.

Yes the Makita is a reasonable although the wheel chain tensioner is Mickey Mouse. For £126 I paid for the bare saw, already having batteries made it a good buy. Not very refined like a Stihl though.

Do you run the Stihl PM3 full chisel 3/8 chain on a 14" bar? I was thinking 12" bar may be better suited?

14" as it came. Seems about right. Probably wont often cut to its limits but the reach of the longer bar is handy 

On 26/02/2021 at 13:31, Andy U said:

These saws are expensive to start with but seem to require very little maintenance and over time there is a big saving on fuel (especially if you use Aspen).

Be really interesting if there was a comparison on how long the batteries last and how much wood had been cut before having to replace + electricity cost for recharging vs how much fuel a petrol one would use .... especially if you're using a fast charger as that doesn't help battery life.