Any Certification Required For Groundsman

Witterings

14 minutes ago, Paddy1000111 said:

It all happens so quickly I suppose! I guess to the OP- Don't register for tax and try to claim for anything! 😂

The OP said from the very beginning he would consider getting his tickets and do the job part time, he also said he was self employed.

It doesn't need the likes of me to dob someone in, not that I would.

I think we can all agree that he's not going to be out there doing work for lorries of logs and then claiming for large machinery on his company account and making a loss on paper to hmrc to gain the benefits of that. He wants to get some logs, some experience and then maybe do it part time as a job. I wouldn't worry 🤷🏼‍♂️

4 minutes ago, Paddy1000111 said:

I think we can all agree that he's not going to be out there doing work for lorries of logs and then claiming for large machinery on his company account and making a loss on paper to hmrc to gain the benefits of that. He wants to get some logs, some experience and then maybe do it part time as a job. I wouldn't worry 🤷🏼‍♂️

Neither would I worry about it, in the same breath I wouldn't give out advice on tax, insurance, and licenses if I hadn't run it by someone who knows these things.🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

Neither would I worry about it, in the same breath I wouldn't give out advice on tax, insurance, and licenses if I hadn't run it by someone who knows these things.🤷‍♂️

There's a big difference between saying to someone to go for their CS30/cs31 and then get some work experience in exchange for maybe a cube of wood overall based on what they can fit in their boot and someone asking a question like "is it legal for me to go and work for someone in exchange for large amounts of firewood". This started off with someone asking what qualifications to go for and ended up with an argument about the company giving him a cube of wet wood occasionally...

1 hour ago, Paddy1000111 said:

It all happens so quickly I suppose! I guess to the OP- Don't register for tax and try to claim for anything! 😂

It doesn’t happen quickly, it starts quickly and then the bully boy intimidation tactics kick in. They last a long time and (I suspect usually bear fruit)  you have to seek to get HMRC ‘decisions’ internally reviewed, then appeal, then apply for Tribunal. It is agonisingly slow and tedious and they bombard you with scatter-gun requests for information and so it continues until either your accountancy fees exceed your tolerance threshold or you lose the will to fight. They picked the wrong cowboy when my number came up. I’ve got endless enthusiasm for a scrap with offialdom and I had the time, will and resources to do it myself. It’s not a course of action Id recommend though - hence just saying “beware” of what can happen. 

• Like 4

Whilst I genuinely appreciate the tax advice point being raised .. I'm self employed (for 22 yrs) so can raise an invoice which will be offset against any tax liability.

Starting point in terms of outgoings to set up.

Chipper  / Felling training up to 38 cm Trees .. £1500   

Chainsaw .... Echo 352 ... inadequate for job intended but may be useful for limbing £220

Chainsaw for commercial work ... Stihl MS 261 .... £603

PPE .... Lets just pick a round figure ... £250

Servicing / repair in the future ... unknown but probably £200 + for a year

Fuel etc... you choose

Income

Logs ... lets be REALLY generous £100 ..... can't wait for my rebate!

Honestly ... haven't gone back to look at who bought up the tax issue but it's a complete non brainer and with the covid pandemic and gangs fraudulently claiming millions are HMRC honestly going to give a monkey's about someone that gets £20 of wood in return for a days work and can be offset against tax ???

EDIT: Read my post above after posting and it sounds like I'm really arsy and it's not meant to be like that but meant to be a humerous by way of making a point and hope people see it as that ...  but then again 😁

Edited by Witterings
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Witterings said:

Whilst I genuinely appreciate the tax advice point being raised .. I'm self employed (for 22 yrs) so can raise an invoice which will be offset against any tax liability.

Starting point in terms of outgoings to set up.

Chipper  / Felling training up to 38 cm Trees .. £1500   

Chainsaw .... Echo 352 ... inadequate for job intended but may be useful for limbing £220

Chainsaw for commercial work ... Stihl MS 261 .... £603

PPE .... Lets just pick a round figure ... £250

Servicing / repair in the future ... unknown but probably £200 + for a year

Fuel etc... you choose

Income

Logs ... lets be REALLY generous £100 ..... can't wait for my rebate!

Honestly ... haven't gone back to look at who bought up the tax issue but it's a complete non brainer and with the covid pandemic and gangs fraudulently claiming millions are HMRC honestly going to have a F***--g sh1t about someone that gets £20 of wood in return for a days work and can be offset against tax ???

I think I'm going to go tell the Mrs how far I'm pushing life to the absolute boundaries on the tax front, I think she'll see me as a bit of a Bond type character ... prepared to live dangerously pushing life to the absolute ..... she'll be desperate to drag me anywhere and tell me I can do absolutely anything I want to her ..... as long as I never tell HMRC she was a part of it.

Can we drop the tax thing please it's really not relevant.

EDIT: Read my post above after posting and it sounds like I'm really arsy and it's not meant to be like that but meant to be a humerous by way of making a point and hope people see it as that ...  but then again 😁

Don’t worry about sounding abrasive mate, no issue with that. You crack on as you see fit. 

What I reflect upon as an ‘interesting episode’ is not presented merely as conjecture of a worst case scenario, it’s not the art of the possible, it’s a real lived experience. 

You sound like you’ve got it all under control and keeping it well under the radar so no need to worry 😜 👍🏻

• Like 1

I'm still impressed that gangs are claiming fraudulent furlough. I couldn't claim anything for the first set as I did annual PAYE to make the accounts easier. I've finally been able to claim this time. I imagine these gangs have their "Business" set up as a LTD company with all their boys on PAYE? 😂