Any Certification Required For Groundsman

Witterings

I wonder where they draw the line with that? As in, at what point a training course (or certificate of competency in this case) gets classed as needed for your business Vs new training? Can you just work 3 days and say "oh, I need certificates of competency" to use a tool as opposed to doing a training course. 

You can just hire an examiner if you have a venue and appropriate insurance.
I had an employer do this fir my cs32.
[emoji106]

16 minutes ago, Rough Hewn said:

You can just hire an examiner if you have a venue and appropriate insurance.
I had an employer do this fir my cs32.
emoji106.png

Good point! I think it would be tough passing the test without training though. It's a bit like doing a driving test, it's the little bitty stuff that you need to know for the test that could mess you up. Especially if you're starting from scratch on cs30! I imagine you could claim the exam as an expense though just not the training? 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Dan Maynard said:

I was going to point out that your £1500 training will be a new skill hence not allowable expense but with all the handbags and grenades around think safer not to so I won't.

You're absolutely right on a subject that many seem to struggle to accept there Dan - new skill is not an allowable expense for tax whereas a mandatory training cert such as H&S, FA & refresher training is.

I'm sure this very subject has been covered (with handbags) previously where many argued that they DID include new skills training in their tax return and it's just like the accrual of non monetary benefits handbagery from previous, there's a difference between what people DO and what they will be told they SHOULDN'T have done in the event they are collared by HMRC.

🥔

On 14/01/2021 at 00:14, Witterings said:

Whilst I genuinely appreciate the tax advice point being raised .. I'm self employed (for 22 yrs) so can raise an invoice which will be offset against any tax liability.

9 hours ago, Witterings said:

Gosh .... I'm really shocked at that so googled it and you're right.

Year 23 starts today 🤣

5 hours ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

You're absolutely right on a subject that many seem to struggle to accept there Dan - new skill is not an allowable expense for tax whereas a mandatory training cert such as H&S, FA & refresher training is.

I did start doing research on this because if you're not allowed to work without it surely it should be tax deductable and then my day job got in the way so didn't get too far / time to post back in here and also what I found was inconclusive with limited time.

What I found tended to say that if a Certification was mandatory it was tax deductable so would apply for a chainsaw .... so therefore ... surely the same would apply for a doctorwho's paid out for a degree.

Personally I think it's all goverment grab as much money as they can .... it wasn't that many years ago University was paid for ..... now not only do you have to pay for it yourself (something I'm not actually against in a lot of ways) but if you take out a goverment loan / grant to pay fot it 5% f****g interest rates ... are u being f**ing serious with interest rates verging on negative ... what a complete f****g scam. 

Edited by Witterings

On 12/01/2021 at 05:52, Witterings said:

I'm thinking about offereing local arborists help as a groundsman in return for wood as opposed to payment i.e. on a voluntary basis and trying to find out if I need any qualifications to do so and if so what the minimum would be.

I work for myself sitting behind a desk all day and sometimes it drives me stir crazy, I just want to do something I'd enjoy and that gets me outside even if only on an occasional basis but also as a way of seeing if it's something I'd want to do longer term and as partial income.

If that was a route I decided to go down I'd put myself through qualifications at a later stage and then try and find part time work when someone needed an extra pair of hands or had been let down.

Any advice anyone can give much appreciated.

About ten years I did the same as you and asked a similar question on here, an old member replied and I started doing a few days for him at the weekend to get an idea if I would like it or not. I didn't invest big money in kit or courses, just went along and dragged brash to the chipper, raked up and learnt some basics like tying saws on, helping climbers etc. I then managed to get a trainee job and made the switch to Arb and haven't looked back. Yes there are shit days but these are often outweighed with the good ones. 

I would see if you can get some days with a local firm, maybe at the weekend around your current commitments and see if it is for you. To be fair if you can survive the crap weather we are having at the moment you have half a chance! I've seen guys spend a fortune on kit and courses to never use them and leave the industry within weeks, it can be an issue with some training providers hooking guys into CS30, 31, 38 and 39 before they have even started a saw. The last guy we had on trial before Xmas paid £4k for his courses and another £500 for PPE and jacked it in as tree work wasn't for him, not sure about you but I wouldn't want to throw £4.5k down the drain, if you do let me know and I'll gladly take it off your hands!

Yes having lots of tickets will help you get in with some firms that work on construction sites, utilities etc but a decent local one man band would be the way I'd go to start with to see if you like domestic arb. Re kit don't spend a fortune, a pair of work trousers, steel toe cap boots and a lid would be ok to see if you like it then maybe look to buy some gear thereafter.

I have some 'older' leggings and boots in my shed, they are in no way brand new and I've kept them for spares just in case.  If you are a similar size to me then you are welcome to them free of charge. The Stihl leggings are either a small or medium and the Meindl boots would be size 8 from memory. If they would be of use DM me your address and I'll courier them to you. Good luck with whatever you choose

• Like 4

15 hours ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

I'm sure this very subject has been covered (with handbags) previously where many argued that they DID include new skills training in their tax return and it's just like the accrual of non monetary benefits handbagery from previous, there's a difference between what people DO and what they will be told they SHOULDN'T have done in the event they are collared by HMRC.

🥔

Dont start handbag loading this thread, Kev, yr not certificated. K

• Haha 1