Any Certification Required For Groundsman

Witterings

The mashed potato incident is a good one for referencing ‘flash to bang’ in our house. 

I am well known for having a particularly slow burn, long tolerance, happy to chug along without mention of a grumble type character which is starkly contrasted by a rare but unpredictable instantaneous flash to bang when the final tolerance is breached. 

This once (that’s right, ONCE but never to be forgotten and recounted at any suitable or even wildly tangential opportunity by Mrs J) manifest itself in a pan of mashed potatoes being launched across the kitchen then pounced upon and stomped into the originally desired consistency. 

Nothing to do with the potatoes of course, it’s just that the inefficiency of the mashing implement was ‘the final straw’ in a chain of events that can’t even be remembered. 

Hence I am destined always to be chided by the wife recounting the “mashed potato incident” whenever she senses the dial moving towards the emergency relief valve. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Dan Maynard said:

I was going to point out that your £1500 training will be a new skill hence not allowable expense but with all the handbags and grenades around think safer not to so I won't.

Gosh .... I'm really shocked at that so googled it and you're right. I'm seriously surprised, so someone out of work can't go and get training and put it against tax to help them get a job and get off of benefits ... madness.

I guess it's largely as they'd have a massive offset from anybody that had done a degree ... imagine all that tax they'd miss 🙄

Gosh .... I'm really shocked at that so googled it and you're right. I'm seriously surprised, so someone out of work can't go and get training and put it against tax to help them get a job and get off of benefits ... madness.
I guess it's largely as they'd have a massive offset from anybody that had done a degree ... imagine all that tax they'd miss [emoji849]

Yep. You can split the hair even further, do the chainsaw training first and then if you are carrying out the trade your chipper training would be ok.

I think also there would be an abundance of tax deductable "training" - sailing, skiing, quad biking, racing driver, scuba diving, etc etc.

53 minutes ago, Dan Maynard said:

Yep. You can split the hair even further, do the chainsaw training first and then if you are carrying out the trade your chipper training would be ok.

Wonder if you'd get away with doing the chipper 1st as it's the cheapest, a few days work as a groundsman and then the chainsaw course ... if it not might be worth comparing doing the chainsaw course in 2 parts and then the chipper.

What if you've worked as a gardener / landscaper, a chainsaw qualification could probably be justifiable ... I used to prune trees / cut branches with a handsaw ....  "I just wanted to do it with a powered tool" and cutting branches isn't a new skill could be the arguement.

Good old HMRC .... you've gotta love em 🤑 

11 hours ago, Dan Maynard said:

I was going to point out that your £1500 training will be a new skill hence not allowable expense but with all the handbags and grenades around think safer not to so I won't.

I wonder where they draw the line with that? As in, at what point a training course (or certificate of competency in this case) gets classed as needed for your business Vs new training? Can you just work 3 days and say "oh, I need certificates of competency" to use a tool as opposed to doing a training course.