Dithering over which little old tractor

You cant have to much power, there is a few angles of how to look at this with old school kit,
1,, they are not to expensive to by now, for your budget you would get something that is fairly decent,
2,, this age of machine was built when the UK was booming in engineering and most things back then tended to be made out of proper steel and not tin foil, most machines of the 50s/60s/70s tended to be vastly over engineered and thats why they are still about and in use,
3,, most machines of this era tended to be very simple and in my book simplicity is reliabilety, and with them being very simple it makes repairs very easy to do and parts do seem to be very cheap,
4,, electrics on the older machines tended to be very very basic as well and dont tend to give any trouble,
5,, what ever money you spend today on a older machine will be a wise move as it gives you a machine to work with and that machine will be going up in value as you use it so its a win win situation,
i have a old 1970 David brown 780 that works round the yard, it had loader on front and fork lift on the rear only let me down once in 11 year when some arsehole ran it out of diesel but back up and running in about 10 mins, all ways starts even in the coldest weather and when the beast from the east came lad in yard next door has 4 fast tacks a few loadalls and a old Bonnser side loader, he managed to get one load all going and the bonnser was the only one that started on its own, my 780 started ok, its nothing fancy but it does the job it was bought for and for me its worth its weight in gold to me as it really makes things very easy for me,
The other tractor i have is a 1990 Kubota l3250 which is of simular size to a grey fergi but the Kubota has a bit more going for it, again it is very simple on the mechanicial side, its 40hp, has 4WD, very manoverable in tight woodland, pulls very well, has a shuttle gearbox which makes life very easy in a woodland, it has a full cab with all glass, it has a cab heater and best of all it has a wireless fitted that works, all in all for me the Kubota wins hands down but that is for what i am doing with it,
Going back Fordsons where the first choice by many people to work in forestry the old green standard fordson then the E27N then the Majors and then later the countys which are still being used by many today, this should tell us something that the Fordsons/fords stood up to the abuse a lot better than many other makes did, 

IMG_0071.thumb.JPG.ecb5f1c612cfb1dfe6bc809279fafb1b.JPG
20180919_161215.thumb.jpg.111b19371a36809afea8d52afbfb76cc.jpg
The old 'uns are also much favoured by the Tractor Pulling boys as well, especially the Fords/Fordsons. They obviously like the very strong, over engineered gearboxes and back ends.
Any time I've ever seen tractor pulling over half of them are always Majors.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, sime42 said:

The old 'uns are also much favoured by the Tractor Pulling boys as well, especially the Fords/Fordsons. They obviously like the very strong, over engineered gearboxes and back ends.
Any time I've ever seen tractor pulling over half of them are always Majors.

Yes a guy who does my diesel pumps & injectors up here for me has one called Lancashire bomber all major based except the engine which is out of a 1980s ford cargo truck, the engine as original would of been some where in the region of 120-150 hp but he has it now pumping out around 800hp and all that going through a standard major back end, tells us a lot about how things used to be built as compared with our throw world we live in today, and another thing about the old stuff is it so easy to work on, another guy i fish with over on the east coast has a 54 E1A major that he launches a 28ft boat with of the beech, i would not like to say how many times that tractor has been stuck and left on the beech for the whole thing to be submerged in salt water for 6-8hrs, when tide receads he then just goes and recovers it back the to the compound drains all fluids changes all filters messes about with it for a few hrs refills every thing and he is then back down beech launching his boat again with it, but he will of done this so many times over the years he will know every dodge there is,

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Mr. Ed said:

Brilliant analysis. Thank you so much. I do think it’s absolutely great that 50 year old machines are still practical and useful. Can you talk me through the forklift on the back of your yellow machine? I imagine that’s just the thing for moving and stacking in the yard. 

Its a Sanderson 3 point linkage double mast fork lift, i use it for stacking IBCs with logs in 3 high in the building, tip IBCs out with it, move lengths of timber about with it, unload and load my pick up n trailer with it, i do all sorts with it and it is a very useful bit of kit, and the good thing about it is it didnt cost that much as i swapped it for a old  £180 Yamaha quad that bought just for the wheels as mine had seen better days, only bad point about that forklift is when i am stacking the IBCs up and am putting the top one in place there are times when i wish it had a sideshift on it, but we cant expect every thing for next to nowt,

• Like 1

Older stuff has its place but sometimes newer is better. For pottering about in a woodland, winching etc personal use an oldie is great :D

im just moving away from some older tractors and am a bit gutted really but have to move with the times and use stuff that's safer and better

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Khriss said:

Love the HoldersA55 get in the tightest spots with them. Seem rare over here but a lot in Middle East. K

( nice little Igland on it too  ☺️

Are they not a phase for folk? Seem to pop up every now and again for sale and makes you wonder if it's the same one lol 🤣

Also think parts are a nightmare? Seen a few arbtalkers after the same parts for a long time

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, swinny said:

Are they not a phase for folk? Seem to pop up every now and again for sale and makes you wonder if it's the same one lol 🤣

Also think parts are a nightmare? Seen a few arbtalkers after the same parts for a long time

Like Series Landrovers then.  You will find it one day 😉 K

2 hours ago, spuddog0507 said:

Its a Sanderson 3 point linkage double mast fork lift, i use it for stacking IBCs with logs in 3 high in the building, tip IBCs out with it, move lengths of timber about with it, unload and load my pick up n trailer with it, i do all sorts with it and it is a very useful bit of kit, and the good thing about it is it didnt cost that much as i swapped it for a old  £180 Yamaha quad that bought just for the wheels as mine had seen better days, only bad point about that forklift is when i am stacking the IBCs up and am putting the top one in place there are times when i wish it had a sideshift on it, but we cant expect every thing for next to nowt,

Got exactly the same thing on one of our 35's.  Ours has sideshift too. :)

• Like 1