Being more useful

RhysJ

Learn a Marlin spike and learn how to sharpen a saw. 

There is never nothing to do. The best guy I work with has an unnatural love affair with a rake. Be the same, reach for it whenever there is a lull in the job. 

Just asking how to be useful will separate you from most. If you actually have raked, moved, cleaned, sharpened everything possible, take photos of the climber. Try to make them look as cool as possible for extra brownie points. Won't be hard, climbers are naturally cooler than most people, just try not to make direct eye contact with them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

9 minutes ago, Tommy_B said:

Learn a Marlin spike and learn how to sharpen a saw. 

There is never nothing to do. The best guy I work with has an unnatural love affair with a rake. Be the same, reach for it whenever there is a lull in the job. 

Just asking how to be useful will separate you from most. If you actually have raked, moved, cleaned, sharpened everything possible, take photos of the climber. Try to make them look as cool as possible for extra brownie points. Won't be hard, climbers are naturally cooler than most people, just try not to make direct eye contact with them.

Guess I love raking now then.

Cheers for the input.  I hope one day to gain enough stature to maintain eye contact with our climber.  Not for too long though....

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Justme said:

Instead of BE what about C1 & C1E?

Pardon the ignorance, and I could probably answer this question if some mild googling, but are there any major benefits of it?  I already have D1 and maintain CPC through my other job, and don't want to invest more in the driving than I have to.

18 minutes ago, RhysJ said:

Pardon the ignorance, and I could probably answer this question if some mild googling, but are there any major benefits of it?  I already have D1 and maintain CPC through my other job, and don't want to invest more in the driving than I have to.

We with C1 you have more than half a chance of the vehicle not being overloaded unlike a 3500kg one. I would guestimate that most arb trucks are over loaded most of the time.

The C1E will give you BE but not D1E. (it used to but not any more)

Initially to get the C1 CPC you will need to take two tests.

After that then the courses you do for the D1 will also cover the C1 unless they are specific to minibus / bus use as the DVSA are now tightening up on the suitability of the courses you do.

Too many people repeating the same course 5 times.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Justme said:

We with C1 you have more than half a chance of the vehicle not being overloaded unlike a 3500kg one. I would guestimate that most arb trucks are over loaded most of the time.

The C1E will give you BE but not D1E. (it used to but not any more)

Initially to get the C1 CPC you will need to take two tests.

After that then the courses you do for the D1 will also cover the C1 unless they are specific to minibus / bus use as the DVSA are now tightening up on the suitability of the courses you do.

Too many people repeating the same course 5 times.

Well all of that sounds like a whole load of fun. 

Would D1E give me C1E, or would I have to do both seperately? That could be a fun day out.