Coppicing saw.

coppice cutter

4 hours ago, coppice cutter said:

Must admit I increasingly like the idea of battery power, more for the quietness than anything, but how much?????? Crazy money for something compared to petrol equivalent, and they're certainly not a lightweight option either! I wonder if there's a bit of cashing in on the 'green agenda' going on there?

If you need more than one machine (second saw or hedge cutter etc) the battery options can work out more cost effective as you already have your batteries and charger. We use some battery kit and have noticed the saving on fuel which also helps off sets the cost. There great for the right things but won’t replace a bigger saw but you said you have that.

A full battery is will last longer than a tank on the equivalent petrol saw as it doesn’t sit idling when not cutting

The lack of noise and fumes in my nose is the driving factor for me over environmental side, some say mining the lithium for the batteries causes as much damage as burning petrol, just moving the problem from our back yard. I’m not sure I’m qualified to answer that argument, so will leave it there.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Khriss said:

@coppice cutter has it got the West Germany stickers on it?  😋 K

Just "Made in Germany", so plainly post unification.

There's a sticker with numbers on it and 97 stands out so i'm guessing that's possibly the year of manufacture. If that's the case it's in remarkable condition for a farm saw, still the CE stickers and everything on it.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Will C said:

The lack of noise and fumes in my nose is the driving factor for me over environmental side, some say mining the lithium for the batteries causes as much damage as burning petrol, just moving the problem from our back yard. I’m not sure I’m qualified to answer that argument, so will leave it there.

Fair assessment, for me in this case noise would be the most appealing benefit of battery.

I consider my woodland a place of peace and tranquility and introducing the rip of a noisey 2-stroke to it genuinely doesn't lay well with me in this instance.

However, as per the post, I've been bought a wee bit of time for now to reassess. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, coppice cutter said:

Fair assessment, for me in this case noise would be the most appealing benefit of battery.

I consider my woodland a place of peace and tranquility and introducing the rip of a noisey 2-stroke to it genuinely doesn't lay well with me in this instance.

However, as per the post, I've been bought a wee bit of time for now to reassess. 

... Course it also means you have to start cutting trees 😉  K

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just a quick update to hopefully add a bit more substance to the thread, I have an Echo 390 esx on order, should have it early next week.

A local company who I get all my Kubota stuff off are an Echo dealer but not an official stockist and they are getting me one. So the first time I get a look at one will be when I open the box, against that, they are a good outfit and I know will keep me right if there's any issues.

We've just started lambing so not sure how much it'll get to do for a few weeks but I'll keep the thread updated sometime in the future as to how it performs.

On 15/01/2021 at 20:22, Khriss said:

Italian far as i know. Dont thing spares are an issue. Pretty robust plastics. Ticked over ok. K

There is a dealer for Stiga in the UK, they are acutually based on the Makita, the 386 and the 466 are,

so you should be able to get certain / mechanical parts from a Makita, the dealer will let you know what

parts he keeps before buying.

EDIT, I see the op got sorted.

Edited by Echo

On 18/02/2021 at 09:18, coppice cutter said:

Just a quick update to hopefully add a bit more substance to the thread, I have an Echo 390 esx on order, should have it early next week.

A local company who I get all my Kubota stuff off are an Echo dealer but not an official stockist and they are getting me one. So the first time I get a look at one will be when I open the box, against that, they are a good outfit and I know will keep me right if there's any issues.

We've just started lambing so not sure how much it'll get to do for a few weeks but I'll keep the thread updated sometime in the future as to how it performs.

Make sure to keep an eye on the plastic flag near the exhaust, there was an issue with the exhaust

melting them, some people made deflectors to point the gases away from the affected area, but

Echo may have addressed the matter and modified the outlet of the muffler.

Edited by Echo
More info

On 18/02/2021 at 09:18, coppice cutter said:

Make sure to keep an eye on the plastic flag near the exhaust, there was an issue with the exhaust

melting them, some people made deflectors to point the gases away from the affected area, but

Echo may have addressed the matter and modified the outlet of the muffler.

The melting issue is mentioned here, and also some good info on taking out the cat, that takes away

a lot of heat from where its not wanted.