Coppicing saw.

coppice cutter

Bought an ms241 with a 14’’ chain for use doing a few weeks of coppicing .it is the perfect power to weight ratio machine especially with the smallest chain on it ,the only issue I found was that if your pointing the ends of strainer posts then an 18’’ chain is needed so possibly would need 2 saws .a 261 is a wise choice aswell but a little weighty 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jack.P said:

Bought an ms241 with a 14’’ chain for use doing a few weeks of coppicing .it is the perfect power to weight ratio machine especially with the smallest chain on it ,the only issue I found was that if your pointing the ends of strainer posts then an 18’’ chain is needed so possibly would need 2 saws .a 261 is a wise choice aswell but a little weighty 

The op made it quite clear in an earlier post that he WON,T be buying a Stihl

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Paul in the woods said:

You don't say what you're coppicing?

I'm a smallholder for want of a better description, with several acres of woodland. I have a few acres of mixed broadleaves that was planted about 30 years ago and I'm thinning and coppicing it. I have a Still 120 CBQ battery saw, a Stihl 170 and an Echo 352ES.

The 120 is great for use on the odd job and for coppicing hazel but not for thinning say ash. The Stihl 170 was bought as a cheap backup saw and is ok, but struggles a bit on stumps and can be a bit troublesome.

The Echo 352 has been faultless and copes fine for my needs. I've had if for 5 years and I also deal with larger trees and that runs fine with the 14" bar buried in ash. It's obviously not the fastest saw or the same as a 50cc pro saw but fine for me. It's also frugal and very easy to start.

However, the dealerships haven't been good and if you want to make use of the 5 year domestic guarantee it'll need a service which can cost a bit. I'm not keen on the VXL chain for coppicing work either, I'm currently running the PX chain and think it's better.

All excellent and useful advice Paul, thanks.

I'll  be coppicing similar to yourself, all native hardwoods.

Firstly, do you ever see any reason why the 12in bar would be better, given that I have a larger saw as well, would the 12in be better for solely coppicing work or do you prefer the 14in in any case?

Interesting that you mention the Echo 352, it's just been replaced with a 3510 although the 352 still seems to be available, I'll have a good look at both! Good tip on the five year warranty as well.

18 minutes ago, coppice cutter said:

All excellent and useful advice Paul, thanks.

More observations. I don't really notice much difference in length with between the 12" and 14" bars, but notice the difference in chains and sometimes the smaller bar nose if I'm doing something delicate. I prefer the Stihl chains.

I am happy with the 14" bar though as the Echo can cope with it and I log up some decent sized wood. Also, not being a pro, I'm happy with a lighter and more relaxed saw. (I do have a Makita EA7900 for the really big stuff).

Note the 14" Echo has 13.5" of usable bar and the 12" Stihl only 10.5".

2 minutes ago, harvey b davison said:

I can really recommend the makita ea4300, it's a brilliant little saw, ideal for what you want it for. I have no experience of echo, but a guy on another forum really rates stiga chainsaws, but I have no experience of them.

It,s what i use,cant fault it👍

28 minutes ago, harvey b davison said:

I can really recommend the makita ea4300, it's a brilliant little saw, ideal for what you want it for. I have no experience of echo, but a guy on another forum really rates stiga chainsaws, but I have no experience of them.

I've a Makita backpack leafblower which I bought new about 15yrs ago and it's been faultless, so I've no issue with the brand whatsoever.

Just worried about long term ownership given their imminent abandonment of petrol engines.

However, if I were ever to be considering battery power I doubt if I'd look anywhere else.

Nonetheless, I'll check them out along with the two Echos.

At the minute the new Echo 3510ES (not the auto choke one) looks like a strong runner.