Coppicing saw.

coppice cutter

Looking for some opinions.

I will be doing quite a bit of thinning/coppicing work in a new woodland over the coming years (I hope!) and think I'll invest in a new saw for the job.

12in bar seems to be the preferred size ideally and as I already have a 266xp with both 18 and 20in bars there's little need to go any larger*. I was ready to pull the lever on an Echo 2511WES last week but they're such a teeny little thing I'm worried that it's just unnecessarily small plus the price seems to be taking the p*** a bit if I'm honest.

The old formula would indicate that I'm looking something mid-30cc, don't like Stihl, sceptical of modern Husky but would always consider them given how well my 266 and the 61 prior to that have been. I do like Japanese stuff, so that combined with the warranty is pointing me towards Echo but to be honest they seem to have so many saws that it's bordering on confusing.

Not so worried about weight as such, I imagine that any saw suited to a 12in bar will be light enough, but would especially like easily started as the nature of the work will be very starty/stoppy, plus while I'm still pretty strong the advancement of years and old injuries means that the quick snap required by some saws is getting increasingly dragging.

Don't get me wrong, I haven't ruled out the 2511 yet, but I've a couple of doubts about it so thought I'd check first as I'd intend this saw to be working for me for many years hopefully.

Thanks.

PS - although I gurned about the price of the 2511, that's only the price relative to it. I'll spend whatever is necessary if I think it's the right article.

* - unless there's something so good that I could use it with a small bar now and then put an 18in on it in a few years when I get too decrepit to pull the 266, but I think that's unlikely.

Edited by coppice cutter

9 minutes ago, coppice cutter said:

Looking for some opinions.

I will be doing quite a bit of thinning/coppicing work in a new woodland over the coming years (I hope!) and think I'll invest in a new saw for the job.

12in bar seems to be the preferred size ideally and as I already have a 266xp with both 18 and 20in bars there's little need to go any larger*. I was ready to pull the lever on an Echo 2511WES last week but they're such a teeny little thing I'm worried that it's just unnecessarily small plus the price seems to be taking the p*** a bit if I'm honest.

The old formula would indicate that I'm looking something mid-30cc, don't like Stihl, sceptical of modern Husky but would always consider them given how well my 266 and the 61 prior to that have been. I do like Japanese stuff, so that combined with the warranty is pointing me towards Echo but to be honest they seem to have so many saws that it's bordering on confusing.

Not so worried about weight as such, I imagine that any saw suited to a 12in bar will be light enough, but would especially like easily started as the nature of the work will be very starty/stoppy, plus while I'm still pretty strong the advancement of years and old injuries means that the quick snap required by some saws is getting increasingly dragging.

Don't get me wrong, I haven't ruled out the 2511 yet, but I've a couple of doubts about it so thought I'd check first as I'd intend this saw to be working for me for many years hopefully.

Thanks.

PS - although I gurned about the price of the 2511, that's only the price relative to it. I'll spend whatever is necessary if I think it's the right article.

* - unless there's something so good that I could use it with a small bar now and then put an 18in on it in a few years when I get too decrepit to pull the 266, but I think that's unlikely.

Have a look at Makita/Dolmar i recently bought a Makita 4300 for hedging and so far very impressed wit it.Have a word with Shavey on here he did me a great deal on mine

• Like 1

I would have been except for the fact that I'd be buying something destined to be obsolete fairly soon, I read the thread.

If it was something getting weekly use which would be worn out in a few years anyway that would be less of an issue, or if the price reflected their impending obsoleteness (is that a word?), I'd certainly give them consideration as Makita is generally good stuff, but that's not the case either.

Assuming yours is 43cc, is that not a bit ott for 12in bar anyway?

Edited by coppice cutter

3 minutes ago, coppice cutter said:

I would have been except for the fact that I'd be buying something destined to be obsolete fairly soon, I read the thread.

If it was something getting weekly use which would be worn out in a few years anyway that would be less of an issue, or if the price reflected their impending obsoleteness (is that a word?), I'd certainly give them consideration as Makita is generally good stuff, but that's not the case either.

Assuming yours is 43cc, is that not a bit ott for 12in bar anyway?

Mines on a 15",if its going to be obsolete soon you may aswell just buy a new Stihl ms180(although you say you dont like Stihl)for 150 quid(ex vat)

5 minutes ago, nepia said:

Why so anti Stihl?  Open your mind 😊 and research the 241.  Good autotune, easy to start, lightweight, 14" bar running .325 tooth as standard.  Darned good saw; I'm on my second and have never had a problem.

I would think something like that would be an ideal coppicing saw,i use my Makita or my Husky 550xp i find it perfect for the job,anything smaller than these are not pro saws anyway

• Like 1