Looking for curved oak sections?

PostDestruction

Hello all,

I am not sure if this is the best place for this post, so apologies if not!

I have an upcoming public art commission for the Surrey Hills Inspiring Views project (Surrey Hills Inspiring Views) which is an Oak framed 'Portal' structure that will serve to frame the view and also provide a seat as a pitstop along the North Downs Way. I am looking to purchase large diameter curved oak sections for the project so if you have any, or can point me in the direction of someone who can help please get in touch. It is proving tricky to find the curved sections at the size I need.

The structure will consist of five sections, one bottom section 500 mm square with a deflection of around 180 mm, two side sections tapering from 500 to 400 mm with a deflection of around 200 mm and two top sections tapering from 400 to 300 mm with a deflection of 220 mm. All five sections will need to be around 2 m in length and round diameters will be 800 mm for the largest section down to 700 mm and 600 mm for the other sections.

The workshop is based in Petersfield, Hampshire so looking for timber as local to there as possible. 07886092010

Philip

Philip Walker Sculpture

3 Person Drawing.jpg

Maquette.jpg

• Like 1

Hello all,

I am not sure if this is the best place for this post, so apologies if not!

I have an upcoming public art commission for the Surrey Hills Inspiring Views project (Surrey Hills Inspiring Views) which is an Oak framed 'Portal' structure that will serve to frame the view and also provide a seat as a pitstop along the North Downs Way. I am looking to purchase large diameter curved oak sections for the project so if you have any, or can point me in the direction of someone who can help please get in touch. It is proving tricky to find the curved sections at the size I need.

The structure will consist of five sections, one bottom section 500 mm square with a deflection of around 180 mm, two side sections tapering from 500 to 400 mm with a deflection of around 200 mm and two top sections tapering from 400 to 300 mm with a deflection of 220 mm. All five sections will need to be around 2 m in length and round diameters will be 800 mm for the largest section down to 700 mm and 600 mm for the other sections.

The workshop is based in Petersfield, Hampshire so looking for timber as local to there as possible. 07886092010

Philip
Philip Walker Sculpture
1833917544_3PersonDrawing.thumb.jpg.e64c920341adc92e96713b209aa42a88.jpg
Maquette.thumb.jpg.64b6812cc9375a36b320b16cad04f847.jpg

I’m based in Haslemere. Will bear in mind

That’s some lumpy curved sections of oak.

Where’s it being placed? Newlands corner or something like that if it’s north downs way ?

16 minutes ago, lux said:

I’m based in Haslemere. Will bear in mind

That’s some lumpy curved sections of oak.

Where’s it being placed? Newlands corner or something like that if it’s north downs way ?

Thanks. Lumpy indeed, and less common than I had hoped.

The piece will be installed at a site in Tatsfield. Great view, bit far from home.

4 minutes ago, ESS said:

You could try Joe Court, Up the road from you in Surrey. He has been cutting Oak.

Thanks, I will ping him an email now!

2 minutes ago, PostDestruction said:

Thanks. Lumpy indeed, and less common than I had hoped.

The piece will be installed at a site in Tatsfield. Great view, bit far from home.

Thanks, I will ping him an email now!

Failing him...Ian Hampshire.