new 372xp problems

jarnii

hello,

so I laid my hands on some new 372xp's and started using the first one in September I did the normal running in and it was going fine. the last job before xmas I had to cut a walnut stump down and for some reason the saw started to bog down and then died, I managed to finish the stump with another saw but had to start the 372 with a full throttle drop start to get it going.

has anyone had anything like this and as yet I've not taken the saw off the shelf and will do today so if you know what this is it would be good to know. 

the guy I got the saws from had them sitting on the shelf for three years not used and the av mounts were brittle so needed replacing (only learned this as they broke) can anyone advise what else I should look at on a new saw that's not been started but sat on a cold shelf for years.

lots of questions here, I hope I've answered some of them with what ive provided but happily will answer anymore or just humble me with my mechanical inability.

tia, ben

• Sad 1

36 minutes ago, jarnii said:

I ran it in on aspen, im in Germany and for some jobs I need a eco fuel as mental as it is. ill have a look at the fuel pipes. cheers

Fuel will be fine then. Fuel pipes are a cheap part, spark plug too. @Paddy1000111 will be along soon 😉  K

15 minutes ago, Khriss said:

Fuel will be fine then. Fuel pipes are a cheap part, spark plug too. @Paddy1000111 will be along soon 😉  K

You know what Khriss, I don't know enough about huskys to offer anything useful 😂 the saw was only 3 months old if I'm reading it right so I can only assume a dodgy carb/ignition unit? PASS 😂

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, jarnii said:

I ran it in on aspen, im in Germany and for some jobs I need a eco fuel as mental as it is. ill have a look at the fuel pipes. cheers

Is the saw the newer Xtorq or earlier 372? The decomp sticks out of the top cover on the later model!

If the saws were new, I am assuming either something in their manufacture was bad or the saws have developed a fault in your use.

I always pull over a saw slowly in this instance to test the compression. Any good tech will do this and it is almost instinctive although not always 100% accurate.

In your case, it may be worth popping off the muffler to check out the state of the piston. If this is clear of any seize or "nip up" marks then the issue is probably fuel related.

One note - were you using the decomp valve? These saws were fitted with the incorrect decomp valve IMO as using it often means the saw doesn't start well. Don't use it if the saw isn't starting well.

It may be that your saw just needs a bit of a retune but any saw that dies and bogs like yours - I would check compression.....then the colour of the plug - (pic please) and then go further in to the fuel system as it looks like it hasn't died completely so the ignition is probably OK.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jarnii said:

hello,

so I laid my hands on some new 372xp's and started using the first one in September I did the normal running in and it was going fine. the last job before xmas I had to cut a walnut stump down and for some reason the saw started to bog down and then died, I managed to finish the stump with another saw but had to start the 372 with a full throttle drop start to get it going.

has anyone had anything like this and as yet I've not taken the saw off the shelf and will do today so if you know what this is it would be good to know. 

the guy I got the saws from had them sitting on the shelf for three years not used and the av mounts were brittle so needed replacing (only learned this as they broke) can anyone advise what else I should look at on a new saw that's not been started but sat on a cold shelf for years.

lots of questions here, I hope I've answered some of them with what ive provided but happily will answer anymore or just humble me with my mechanical inability.

tia, ben

Are you sure these are 372, as they have a spring AV system so would not require replacing due to age?

• Like 2