The Wee Chipper Club

TimberCutterDartmoor

On 22/02/2021 at 11:59, andyk12 said:

peds - thanks you for reporting back - a lot of the stuff I would need to chip is actually hawthorn, so you have done me a huge favour - is it the shape of the hawthorn that makes it such a problem or the "hardness"/texture of it?

Its a shame, because we really could have done with the mulch for our veg patch!

thanks again, Andy

Hawthorn comes in many different shapes and sizes of course, it'll chew up long straight bits with no kinks no problem at all, but as soon as you add a bend or or two you have to manipulate it a lot more to get it down the tube, and the fact that it's a thorny bugger makes the wrestling a lot harder.

The problem definitely isn't on the machine's side, it's a human issue. A heavy wax jacket and welder's gloves would fix it.

Alternatively, dig a little deeper and find the cheapest option with feed rollers. This machine is fed only by gravity and elbow grease.

• Like 1

Hawthorn comes in many different shapes and sizes of course, it'll chew up long straight bits with no kinks no problem at all, but as soon as you add a bend or or two you have to manipulate it a lot more to get it down the tube, and the fact that it's a thorny bugger makes the wrestling a lot harder.
The problem definitely isn't on the machine's side, it's a human issue. A heavy wax jacket and welder's gloves would fix it.
Alternatively, dig a little deeper and find the cheapest option with feed rollers. This machine is fed only by gravity and elbow grease.
Or a wee chipper with a big spout - not going to say I love hawthorn but it's not too bad in an M500. Spend the money on welding gauntlets too.

I've fed hawthorn into a TW150 and that was no fun either so rollers aren't the whole answer.

17 minutes ago, Dan Maynard said:

Spend the money on welding gauntlets too.

I've fed hawthorn into a TW150 and that was no fun either so rollers aren't the whole answer.

I've got a good few hundred kilos of hawthorn sat in a heap in the middle of a field to deal with, and I'm not sure I've got the space to hide it all, so I'll definitely have to invest in the welders gloves.

I guess the only acupuncture-free solution is to drop five figures on a much bigger chipper and have a fella feed it in with a grab on an excavator. But then I'd have to find something else to offer a temporary distraction from the other pains in my life.

44 minutes ago, peds said:

I've got a good few hundred kilos of hawthorn sat in a heap in the middle of a field to deal with, and I'm not sure I've got the space to hide it all, so I'll definitely have to invest in the welders gloves.

I guess the only acupuncture-free solution is to drop five figures on a much bigger chipper and have a fella feed it in with a grab on an excavator. But then I'd have to find something else to offer a temporary distraction from the other pains in my life.

Is burning not possible?

I'd rather fist fight a prickly pear in my underpants than feed English thorn to a Chinese chippette.

Stuart

7 minutes ago, Ty Korrigan said:

Is burning not possible?

I'd rather fist fight a prickly pear in my underpants than feed English thorn to a Chinese chippette.

Stuart

No, I'm a smelly hippy with an aversion to unnecessary burning, and a desire to keep as much of the raw materials for use as possible. Everything that I'm taking out of my current nemesis, just over 100m of overgrown hedge (hawthorn, holly, goat willow, ash) is being kept for firewood, turned into woodchip for mulching in the garden and polytunnels I'll be building over the next year, kept aside for filling the bottom of raised beds hugelkulture style, or, and you'll laugh when you hear this, being taken apart by hand with pruning saw, loppers, and secateurs, and placed back into and on top of the soil that they came out of in the first place, after it's been moved a meter and a half to the east, ready for planting a new hedge in. Incredibly valuable slow-release fertiliser.
Also, a lot of the hawthorn I'll be snipping into easy lengths and weaving through the sheep wire fencing I'll be putting up, to provide a bit of a windbreak for the establishing whips I'm dropping in the ground in a few weeks time.

I expect all 100m of it to take me about three or four days.

• Like 2

On 23/02/2021 at 19:42, Stoatally said:

I've narrowed it down to the Lumag HC15 or the Jansen GTS1500. Both look pretty similar.

Any preferences? £2,500 absolute max

We are probably the biggest stockist of Lumag UK and can say the HC15 is a fantastic tool. We actually only have one demo unit remaining but a few are due in the next week. The HC15 Pro is even better. 

I looked at Jansen but there is a very big difference in UK support and even attitude. We have been Lumag dealers for 5 years and hear very little, but by far the most popular product we do is the HC15 

if you want any info or wish to visit us, bring some material and have a go 

1 hour ago, stewmo said:

Just putting on for interest.

An Instagram ad lead me to these wee chippers, they even have a road tow for £1700!

CrytecLogoSmall_1200x1200.png?v=1594818486

CRYTEC-POWER.CO.UK

Crytec

That'd do me if I was in the market. Realistically anything 3" and bigger I'd be keeping for firewood anyway. It's a big price jump from these  Chinese entry level jobs up to the big boys.

• 2 weeks later...