The Wee Chipper Club

TimberCutterDartmoor

I have made a chipboard box just to try for size, got a twin wheel barrow for stability. It needs an extra piece to stop the chip going over the barrow (wheelie bins have a lid). Did work ok and easier to wheel on grass, easier to tip as well. I concluded the idea works but the box needs to fold flat for transport, and chipboard doesn't look professional whereas a wheelie bin does.

The wheelie bin is good to tip over and scoop sawdust into, and store tarps in the trailer after the job, but the barrow is better for timber so the idea isn't dead yet. Everything a compromise, it's better to travel light and yet better to have everything with you just in case.

• Like 1

I haven't but I might try.  I have a large capacity barrow on a single wide flat-treaded tyre.  Pushing it up a ramp onto the pickup could be an issue [emoji38] but would be a doddle if I tipped the chip into a trailer and used the pickup for the chipper.
A niche setup but thanks for the suggestion.  If I do it I'll certainly put up pics on here.

Put a ramp from trailer to pick up, 2 ramps but it’ll save you handballing everything back out...

43 minutes ago, Dan Maynard said:

I have made a chipboard box just to try for size, got a twin wheel barrow for stability. It needs an extra piece to stop the chip going over the barrow (wheelie bins have a lid). Did work ok and easier to wheel on grass, easier to tip as well. I concluded the idea works but the box needs to fold flat for transport, and chipboard doesn't look professional whereas a wheelie bin does.

The wheelie bin is good to tip over and scoop sawdust into, and store tarps in the trailer after the job, but the barrow is better for timber so the idea isn't dead yet. Everything a compromise, it's better to travel light and yet better to have everything with you just in case.

I reckon if you did a half decent job of making the boards it would look pretty pro. Have just sorted a barrow going to try making something will post pictures

43 minutes ago, Dan Maynard said:

I reckon if you did a half decent job of making the boards it would look pretty pro. Have just sorted a barrow going to try making something will post pictures

1 hour ago, huskykev said:

Put a ramp from trailer to pick up, 2 ramps but it’ll save you handballing everything back out...

I have to handball everything anyway (small operator, mostly a one-man band) but I do have access issues at one of my chip tips where I can't get a trailer in.

So that's another good idea that hadn't set off a spark in the old grey matter; thanks.