The Wee Chipper Club

TimberCutterDartmoor

Jumping on the whole gm and peruzzo debate. The idea of putting two engines on a chipper to do two different things just seems expensive, when one engine can do both.my first ever chipper was a bolens tomahawk 12hp. this had one great feature, in that you could start the engine without the blade drum being enganged. You then pulled a lever that engaged the drum, thus making starting easier.

If gm were to use this system, could they then not utilise the same engine to operate tracks, then engage the blade when in stationary mode? Would make a cracking bit of kit!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dig-dug-dan said:

Jumping on the whole gm and peruzzo debate. The idea of putting two engines on a chipper to do two different things just seems expensive, when one engine can do both.my first ever chipper was a bolens tomahawk 12hp. this had one great feature, in that you could start the engine without the blade drum being enganged. You then pulled a lever that engaged the drum, thus making starting easier.

If gm were to use this system, could they then not utilise the same engine to operate tracks, then engage the blade when in stationary mode? Would make a cracking bit of kit!!

I agree, the only downside to the peruzzo is that the engine for the tracks isn't electric start! 

On the early gm chippers you had to pull a lever to tighten the drive belts for the flywheel... Bloody awful machines (the early ones!) 

In their day, they worked well and had a good spec. I brought one off of the Northern Rep, Nigel Wright (retired over ten years ago) and the second for my Unimog off of Hubert Nightingale in 1996(?). I went to work for GM a couple of years later and eventually got Hubert's job. I had a hand in building the last of the 152 and 202 units.

Hi, first post here. I have read this thread from beginning to end and it's made for some good reading. I'm quite fond of the idea of having a wee chipper for my own private work, although the smallest chipper I've ever used up to now is a timberwolf 125.

Going off what I've read here "v's" my budget, I'd be inclined to go for the Jansen GTS-1500E. 

I came across the Skarper c90 pro which is available from FR Jones for £4200 (inc vat) but is twice as much as the Jansen chipper, which looks to me like an identical machine.

Does anyone have any experience with the Skarper? What would the extra £2000 be getting me? Is it just a case of having some CE stickers, ratchet strap points and a Honda engine?

On 05/04/2018 at 21:54, clint said:

Hi, first post here. I have read this thread from beginning to end and it's made for some good reading. I'm quite fond of the idea of having a wee chipper for my own private work, although the smallest chipper I've ever used up to now is a timberwolf 125.

Going off what I've read here "v's" my budget, I'd be inclined to go for the Jansen GTS-1500E. 

I came across the Skarper c90 pro which is available from FR Jones for £4200 (inc vat) but is twice as much as the Jansen chipper, which looks to me like an identical machine.

Does anyone have any experience with the Skarper? What would the extra £2000 be getting me? Is it just a case of having some CE stickers, ratchet strap points and a Honda engine?

Welcome Clint, it really comes down to horses for courses. If you won't be using it x amount of hours 5 days a week & it saves you money on hiring + if you have the time to chip each small branch / twig then go for the cheaper option. The difference in pro / commercial spec is output, time saving & durability / longevity. The cheap eBay jobby may last you years & years but it wouldn't last a month with me! ?...  horses 4 courses lad  ?

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

Greenmech CS100 starting issue help, turn key and it clicks just once but won't turn over, fires up fine on pull start and battery is fully charged. Starter motor maybe?

its been doing it every so often past few weeks but today wouldn't start with key at all.

12 minutes ago, Shaunpaul said:

Greenmech CS100 starting issue help, turn key and it clicks just once but won't turn over, fires up fine on pull start and battery is fully charged. Starter motor maybe?

its been doing it every so often past few weeks but today wouldn't start with key at all.

Either a dodgy solenoid, or starter motor. Have you tried tapping the starte with a hammer whilst holding the key over?

1 hour ago, Shaunpaul said:

I wouldn't like to describe myself as an expert but it seems to me you've hit the nail on the head..