The Wee Chipper Club

TimberCutterDartmoor

Hi - currently a few months into a new business venture. Subbying out to other firms gaining experience whilst taking on my own work here and there. 

immediate future sees me remove 25+ leyland hedges. I need a chipper. Also have a few other jobs in the future which will require a chipper rather than a load of trips to the land fill. 

chipper must be small enough to fit in my trailer as I have a small van for tools and trailer for waste. So a towable chipper is out the question. 

CS100 looks great but it’s more expensive than other small

Chippers. Anyone got any advice? Is the CS100 a no brainer when it comes to small chippers ? Anyone selling one? I can get one for £4800 including vat. 

also - anyone put leylandi  through a small chipper? Was it straight forward or lots of snags? 

thanks in advance 

Liam 

On 09/06/2020 at 19:33, Liam_Herbert said:
On 08/06/2020 at 22:10, PeteB said:
Uh oh! Bearing is US, quite rare too. If you are lucky, two bearings and job is a good un! Hopefully shaft is okay, blades and shear bars need checking too. Call GreenMech or take it to your local GM dealer.

Nice one thanks

**************** that, it’s not rocket science. ID the bearing and replace it yourself. GreenMech dealers (on here at least) have proven themselves to be somewhat lacking in mechanical expertise. 

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve got a Hyundai chipper and the belts are tensioned as in the photo below.

The bearings are shot and so while I wait for a replacement part I’m wondering if anyone has any good ideas for a work around.

It’s not really turning and so must be adding friction and getting red hot during use. Cheers

IMG_2510.jpg

Probably be knackering the belt too, I wouldn't try running that if it's getting hot. Have you taken it apart? May be able to walk into a bearing stockist and get replacements or near equivalent.

Thanks. Yeah it’s easy enough to take off, just haven’t a clue where to get something like and waiting for a part from Hyundai supplier, taking ages.
  • Like 1

It looks like it's a big roller really so maybe a pair of track roller bearings, with some washers for packing. If you Google bearing stockist most industrial areas have someone nearby like Brammer or a local firm, otherwise maybe simplybearings or RS.

Easier if you know someone with a lathe I guess, then you can adapt.

• Like 1

Thanks. Yeah it’s easy enough to take off, just haven’t a clue where to get something like and waiting for a part from Hyundai supplier, taking ages.

Hi Stu, as Dan says you should be able to get bearings off the shelf. Take it off, knock the bearings out and see if there is any numbers on the side of the outer race. Might need rubbing on some emery cloth to bring the numbers up. If there is no numbers then measure them and search on line. Alternatively go and see a engineering workshop, they should help you out. List the measurements on here if you have no luck.
  • Like 1

I know Leicester  has a very capable bearing, belt and gear supplier. I bet there is on (or more) in every large town or city. Take it in and get their advice, they may be able to help with a straight swap or an alternative.  

Or wait for the Hyundai spare parts people to get something from China again....

• Like 1