The Wee Chipper Club

TimberCutterDartmoor

1 minute ago, GA Groundcare said:

Sounds a worthy contact. What do they trade as?  Is that their main business manufacturing blades, teeth and such like?

Already put a link on but here ya go , cash in hand ?

QRMSLIMITED.COM

Are you looking for machinery spare parts for industrial forestry, recycling, quarrying or plant hire equipment...

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

It should not be doing that. Looking at your photo the purchase was a second hand unit. Where are you located?

First things to check. Air filter, is it blocked causing the engine to be running lean? Exhaust silencer itself blocked up? Are fumes exiting as you would expect? What spark plugs are fitted? is it over fuelling and running too rich? Any smoke? 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My rock chipper is now almost 2 years old and has been great. Keeping the blades shaving sharp and regular servicing and fettling seem to be the key with these machines. 

Only gripe I had is that it’s awkward  to pull up the tailgate of the ifor trailer by yourself when the trailer floors wet. 

Had a few evenings in the shed and fitted a small atv winch to it which is remotely operated . Problem solved?

BD6989F3-4DBF-426C-B7C6-66039A97801C.jpeg

C5B5CC26-AC23-48B9-BADA-204AEF9DE3B0.jpeg

FE13A4CD-FBF4-43ED-A12F-3D63879A52AB.jpeg

• Like 7

11 hours ago, Shaff said:

My rock chipper is now almost 2 years old and has been great. Keeping the blades shaving sharp and regular servicing and fettling seem to be the key with these machines. 

Only gripe I had is that it’s awkward  to pull up the tailgate of the ifor trailer by yourself when the trailer floors wet. 

Had a few evenings in the shed and fitted a small atv winch to it which is remotely operated . Problem solved?

BD6989F3-4DBF-426C-B7C6-66039A97801C.jpeg

C5B5CC26-AC23-48B9-BADA-204AEF9DE3B0.jpeg

FE13A4CD-FBF4-43ED-A12F-3D63879A52AB.jpeg

Nice work! I'd have been tempted to mount it on the trailer so that it isn't extra weight to push about and could conceivably be used to pull other stuff into the trailer?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, PeteB said:

Nice work! I'd have been tempted to mount it on the trailer so that it isn't extra weight to push about and could conceivably be used to pull other stuff into the trailer?

I hear you fella. Did give that idea some thought but decided it might be more useful on the chipper for steep gardens or pulling up the ramps on garden steps etc. ?

• Like 1

On 03/02/2020 at 20:52, Shaff said:

Looks suspiciously similar to the winch I recently removed from my chipper.  I suspect these are all churned out by the same Chinese factory and sold under a plethora of different brands. 

It's a great helper for as long as it works, but mine did not take kindly to soggy weather, of which we have had an abundance here on the Norwegian west coast.  When I split mine open after it refused to work any more, after less than a years' use, I found two of the four brushes rusted in place and no longer able to make any contact with the rotor.  In addition, one of the four permanent magnets, which are only held in place with glue, had come loose and was hugging the rotor instead.

Your winch may, of course, be made to a higher quality than mine was despite the similar looks, but next time and purely based on my own experience, I'll spring for an acknowledged brand.  They are really not that much more expensive and should hopefully be able to withstand more than a few rain showers.