The Wee Chipper Club

TimberCutterDartmoor

I must agree to the former comments. There's far faster Chinese makes than this. If you are a professional it can be debated if it is a good choice on the long term or not.
Besides the chipping speed I see a few more things important for choosing the right wee chipper:
- Does it auto-feed?
Does it auto-feed as well with forked branches?

- Will chips throw far enough to first fill your trailer up front?
If not then you will find yourself busy scooping up the chips throwing them forward.

- Does it really chip the diameters in the manufacturers specifications?
We have seen quite a few wild figures lately given by the competition. This type of drum chipper can handle a maximum thickness of 8 or 9 cm. Even if you put a 40 hp engine on it, the maximum branch thickness is limited by the design of the drum. To avoid disappointment: first be convinced in a test of 12 or 15 cm capacity.

- Feeding height. Is the height still okay for your shoulders?

If you are interested to compare: https://youtu.be/4qAu2LygWz8?t=218
If you want to know more about the technical details behind drum chippers, feel free to send us a message.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, mountainboy said:

Mmmmm

Back to the drawing board 

I have a 230 so no problems with bigger stuff just looking for a simple little chipper that can handle smallish forked branches 

Like the hackler or green mech  but it just to expensive for what it is 

Sure 4k is a lot of money, but still just the equivalent of about two big chain saws.

In my days in tree care I was pretty prudent before investing as well, but buying a good small chipper really saved me a lot of time and effort.

13 hours ago, Josh u a Tree said:

Sure 4k is a lot of money, but still just the equivalent of about two big chain saws.

In my days in tree care I was pretty prudent before investing as well, but buying a good small chipper really saved me a lot of time and effort.

Lol

I'm also really tight 

Tips appreciated on when to sharpen blades as am new to chipper ownership!

I’ve attached a photo, probably not great quality, but was having a look inside and was surprised how many little dinks in the blade there were and wondered if they should be sharpened.

Thanks

IMG_1348.jpg

Obviously I can't vouch for the edge but in terms of dinks that doesn't look bad at all.  The acid test is how well the machine is chipping.  You soon know when the blades are blunt; the machine stops pulling material in and you get increasing amounts of sliver in the output instead of consistent square(ish) chip.

Obviously I can't vouch for the edge but in terms of dinks that doesn't look bad at all.  The acid test is how well the machine is chipping.  You soon know when the blades are blunt; the machine stops pulling material in and you get increasing amounts of sliver in the output instead of consistent square(ish) chip.

Thanks. Chipping output is fine at the mo, and pulls in well. Good to get know how to gauge it all as it wears.

• 2 weeks later...

Introducing the GreenMech CS80 wood chipper.... This is the CS100 platform that you know and love however fitted with a 12hp recoil start Loncin engine, allowing the retail price to be reduced to £3,630.00 excluding vat.

Absolutely perfect for the Arborist/ landscaper who is looking for a commercial grade wee chipper but at a more cost effective price.

Available to order now.

CS80 1.jpg

cs80 2.jpg

• Like 4