The Wee Chipper Club

TimberCutterDartmoor

1 hour ago, Jwoodgardenmaintenance said:

Anyone heard of skarper chippers apparantley the same as Haecksler but a lot better quality? 

Hello JWood, 

Just a small correction on your comment:
The brand you mentioned is selling our old model Haecksler 3 and exactly for reasons of quality we asked our old manufacturer in 2015 to build a machine that we believed would show significant improvements. The manufacturer did not want this and after some bickering we split up. Since then we have been building the Haecksler 4. Here you see the article that I put on Arbtalk back in 2018 ....    There's a summary of improvements compared with the old model 3

I red the article once again and noticed that one important improvement has NOT been mentioned: Since the stricter standards for safety, the distance between the operator and the knives had to be increased to 1.25 meters, among other things. Almost all manufacturers solved this by simply extending the feed hopper and we did not think this was a good idea for ergonomics. Last year I have seen input heights of 110 cm and more at trade fairs throughout Europe and imagine if you have to work under these conditions a few days a week, early physical wear is your future. Our machines comply not only with the standards, but the input height is just 80 cm / 31.5 ".

*In the comments below the abovementioned article I mention as well who imo is the one and only genius to have created the Wee Chippers!  If I am wrong please send me your ideas about it.

At Haecksler we work with happy people who prefer their own strength and creativity above all and we often come up with our own innovations (See last years innovation and last months new idea). Admittedly, just like most of us we sometimes borrow a good idea to make it better and to my shame I had to shake hands with the guys from Stein a few years ago and I apologized for borrowing one of their ideas. Dear Stein-gentlemen, you have all my respect for your sporting reaction.

Let's go back to work now, cheers,
Joost 

Haecksler BV - Amsterdam

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Josh u a Tree said:

Hello JWood, 

Just a small correction on your comment:
The brand you mentioned is selling our old model Haecksler 3 and exactly for reasons of quality we asked our old manufacturer in 2015 to build a machine that we believed would show significant improvements. The manufacturer did not want this and after some bickering we split up. Since then we have been building the Haecksler 4. Here you see the article that I put on Arbtalk back in 2018 ....    There's a summary of improvements compared with the old model 3

I red the article once again and noticed that one important improvement has NOT been mentioned: Since the stricter standards for safety, the distance between the operator and the knives had to be increased to 1.25 meters, among other things. Almost all manufacturers solved this by simply extending the feed hopper and we did not think this was a good idea for ergonomics. Last year I have seen input heights of 110 cm and more at trade fairs throughout Europe and imagine if you have to work under these conditions a few days a week, early physical wear is your future. Our machines comply not only with the standards, but the input height is just 80 cm / 31.5 ".

*In the comments below the abovementioned article I mention as well who imo is the one and only genius to have created the Wee Chippers!  If I am wrong please send me your ideas about it.

At Haecksler we work with happy people who prefer their own strength and creativity above all and we often come up with our own innovations (See last years innovation and last months new idea). Admittedly, just like most of us we sometimes borrow a good idea to make it better and to my shame I had to shake hands with the guys from Stein a few years ago and I apologized for borrowing one of their ideas. Dear Stein-gentlemen, you have all my respect for your sporting reaction.

Let's go back to work now, cheers,
Joost 

Haecksler BV - Amsterdam

Could you send me a price for a chipper with 3 1/2" chip capacity 13hp? See what the differences are in prices not too fussed about brand Jo Beau / Haecksler / skarper or even greenmech just want a good chipper at the best price ? 

9 minutes ago, Jwoodgardenmaintenance said:

Could you send me a price for a chipper with 3 1/2" chip capacity 13hp? See what the differences are in prices not too fussed about brand Jo Beau / Haecksler / skarper or even greenmech just want a good chipper at the best price ? 

Thanks J, H4 is € 4.460,00 which at this moment is £ 3.906,85. 

If you are interested, go to the site and see if you like our machines.

• Like 1

that 23hp Skarper looks alright

I think there is room for a bigger narrow access machine - 

ingredients as follows 1 Hatz diesel 66hp, chipping gear off e.g Safetrack or TP200, but with quick release hopper and unpluggable cables, the rotor and motor are on a narrow steel frame only 650mm wide, with a hydrostatic drive to wheels, like the M500 , but more industrial gear like from a big hydro mower. And with all important hydraulic feed rollers. So the contraption weighs north of a ton, but is air cooled no rad to worry about, will chip 30 ton a day if required and fit through a narrow gateway.

Not a redundant concept due to narrow access tracked chippers, as I recon the hydrostatic drive could be configured with a freewheel (like on Hayter Condor), so if there is a breakdown its easy to winch onto a trailer/ into a van and away. 

So in summary a Hatz powered Jo Beau M500 chips 8" only 650 wide without hopper, assembled in Ethiopia, only 12k inc tax

Edited by tree-fancier123
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Josh u a Tree said:

Thanks J, H4 is € 4.460,00 which at this moment is £ 3.906,85. 

If you are interested, go to the site and see if you like our machines.

I watched one of your videos on 'easy rider' the electric assist wheel - you say putting in hydraulics the machine cost goes up by a couple of thousand. It seems to me this is a lot  for a hydrostatic transmission to the rear axle. Hayter have stopped making the Condor mower I read somewhere, but they had a nice looking hydro drive and the whole mower was only 5000 or so, surely the componts and assembly of that particular hydrostatic transmission would be less than 2000? The Hayter Condor drive has forward, reverse and importantly disengage, so it can be towed if it breaks down.

Why not make a narrow access heavier machine with hydro drive and hydraulic feed rollers? The hydrostatic drive means it could be driven up ramps into a van, rather than messing about with a winch. The narrow access machines could then be much more powerful, with 150 , or even 200mm capacity (conifer bashing), but be half the cost of a tracked chipper, and on four wheels, not mess up lawns like a tracked chipper. Those big engines say Hatz 50hp retail quite dear, but butter them up tell them if it works out youll have 500 units a year.... If no one does it I will have to bodge one up myself, and waste valuable time when I could be typing on the computer...

1870596017_condorparts.gif.feb1e23f35c6b4fa3e1cc0931c314823.gifScreenshot_20190201_130642.thumb.png.c9c3237d79dffdb5de74c10fdd8ac693.png

Edited by tree-fancier123
  • Thanks 1

Hello TJ. We used to purchase the Eaton drive for our stump grinders and I would have liked to have mounted these on our chippers as well, but a few years ago we could no longer purchase them in the Netherlands. The salesman told us that Eaton had stopped producing it. For this drive we paid around 1450 pounds. We would need some other components, and then the application and construction. Sales price around 2000. That is quite a lot of money for a machine of under 4000 pounds!   Surely the Easy Rider system will not bring you up the mountain, but it will help one single man to push his machine through rough terrain and over gentle slopes. I recently made a video in which a chipper is easily being driven into a bus, will try to post this soon.

What you describe as a 'narrow super wood chipper' sounds like music to my ears and I would certainly have liked to have such a machine during my tree care years. I am interested in improvement and in fact, I have previously discussed a larger capacity with my engineer. His explanation was that first of all the rotor would have to be more than 60 cm in diameter. Our current small rotor weighs 37 kg and generates enormous centrifugal forces. A 60 cm rotor would make these forces increase exponentially. We would have to build a completely different machine that would be so heavy and strong that we than can no longer speak of a 'wee-chipper'. Our approach and phylosophy tend more to go towards:
1. small investments for small machinery, less financial worries, less pressure ? and more personal freedom.
2. in and out the van and ready to go in a minute.
3. knowledge and skills are the tools for tree care work, the machines are an addition to this and must be ergonomic to prevent physical wear and tear.

Of course, compared to large shredders, using a small chipper does result in a lot of firewood being sawn away before chipping, but a lot of us use wood for heating and do not mind this. The benefits of small chippers are known: Not having to cut up branches and drag them out to the street to shred them in a large machine. But I do not pretend that this is the right concept for all arborist companies, and I think that for the above reasons we at Haecksler should leave this category of capacity to the builders of large chippers. Each his specialty....

Did see the Hayter Condor mower and it seems well-powered. Do you think they mounted Eaton on their products as well and stopped production for the same reason? We have only been able to find Chinese material as a replacement and have decided not to venture into it. If you have knowledge of another manufacturer of hydrostatic drives this would be quite welcome (in a pm?)

Thanks for your input, have a nice weekend. 

Edited by Josh u a Tree
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Josh u a Tree said:

and I think that for the above reasons we at Haecksler should leave this category of capacity to the builders of large chippers. Each his specialty...

thanks for reply - I appreciate all the engineering and parts sourcing is a big investment to produce your machines, so deciding what to build and what to leave can be the difference between profit or loss

https://www.hydro-gear.com/residential/

probably expensive, I can appreciate your 2000 figure now I've looked into it a bit more, some of the pumps are almost a thousand on their own. Needs a copy one made by some poor soul living in a dormitory

Good day to you.

I would like to propose the Peruzzo TB100 which comes in 3 main variants.

1) 14 HP Briggs and Stratton 3.5" portable chipper. £4074.00 Inc vat retail price

2) 18 HP Vanguard 4/4.5" portable chipper
Electric Start £

Could you send me a price for a chipper with 3 1/2" chip capacity 13hp? See what the differences are in prices not too fussed about brand Jo Beau / Haecksler / skarper or even greenmech just want a good chipper at the best price [emoji106] 

Good day to you.

I would like to propose the Peruzzo TB100 which comes in 3 main variants.

1) 14 HP Briggs and Stratton 3.5" portable chipper. £4074.00 Inc vat retail price

2) 18 HP Briggs and Stratton Vanguard 4/4.5" portable chipper
Electric Start £5994.00 Inc Vat retail Price.

3) 18HP Briggs and Stratton 4/4.5" self propelled/tracked narrow access chipper
Electric Start £7674.00 Incl vat retail price.

We have a Demo unit for the track version which we can let you try out. Most people who try this version order one. This is the best way to sell the benefits of this unit. I could go on for hours about the tangible benefits but I would rather let the machine do the talking. Currently offering a discount to people who take a demo as well C. 10%

Send me your contact details anfld I will get in touch.

Please see link below for a video.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1