The Wee Chipper Club

TimberCutterDartmoor

On 30/08/2018 at 22:30, Luckyeleven said:

the thing about it being on tracks......makes the infeed even higher

Hello,

unnecessary extra physical effort is indeed an often seen problem. In addition, with the stricter enforcement of safety standards (EN norms) many manufacturers have chosen to simply extend the feeding hopper which automatically increased the feeding height. I have  seen input heights of more than 105 cm (41") and this does not really make one feel happier at the end of the day.

For our machines we went looking for an ergonomic solution: Compact shredders in general were safe already. The stricter requirements were  related to large shredders with feed rollers but compact wood chippers -are these machines really called WEE chippers in the UK? ? - were included in the sweep. We managed to comply with the requirements without increasing the feeding height. On a Haecksler 4 modell it is now 80 cm (31 ") and feeding is simply from the hip.

H4 EPER Extrapower2.jpg

• Like 2

The photo I posted yesterday was a bit too big and if I meant to secretly advertise my machine a bit, it should not be that obvious.  The point I tried to make was that even if it seems to be of little importance at first how user-friendly a wood chipper is, that in the long-term it contributes to the physical wear we undergo in a relatively heavy profession. When designing our machines we actively think and discuss about ergonomy. Likewise with the Easy Rider system, an auxiliary electric drive wheel (here's a video) to move around more easily the relatively heavy machines.

If anyone would like to see this machine and plans to go to the UK & Ireland Open Tree Climbing Competition (UK&ITCC), then here is the opportunity. We are present and will attend the  3ATC UK Open held at the ARB Show in May '19 as well.

Have a nice evening..

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/09/2018 at 21:54, equip4ind said:

Come and see the Peruzzo T100-C at the upcoming APF2018 show at Ragley Estate be Alcester. We will be demo the chipper at the show as I have just nicked a load of Brash of the Greenmec Stand...Only joking Pete B...IMG-20180917-WA0003.jpeg

It is GreenMech, g r e e n m e c h, try and copy that correctly please.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Has anyone used the Timberwolf 75(?) the 3 inch one? Just wanting to know if it actually works with 3 inch stuff well?
need to hire a machine and it’s that it a camon( I think)

it just for chipping some low low hanging branches.

thanks in advance

Used one a few times hired in, if the blades are sharp it will handle a bit above 3” too in smaller lengths.
has some odd kill switches so if it ever won’t start, check all of them!
easy to unblock if you clog it with small bits.
outflow points at the floor so could load into a wheel barrow

On 05/09/2018 at 23:12, Josh u a Tree said:

are these machines really called WEE chippers in the UK? ?

This thread was started some years ago by Stevie Blair from Scotland after he got a CS100. He realised that these small machines had a valuable place in the equipment made for tree surgeons etc and he also named his machine 'Gloria'. The thread has been a useful resource for information/comment/jest ever since. In Scottish vernacular, 'wee' is used in place of 'small'.

The English language is a varied, complex thing!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Dbikeguy said:

Used one a few times hired in, if the blades are sharp it will handle a bit above 3” too in smaller lengths.
has some odd kill switches so if it ever won’t start, check all of them!
easy to unblock if you clog it with small bits.
outflow points at the floor so could load into a wheel barrow

Thanks for that. Though a closer look at these trees suggests I might need a 4 inch machine! I take it the 100 in cs100 means 100mm so 4 inch?

Thanks again 

• Like 1

Richard1234; although such machines are rated at 3" or 4" it's possible to chip almost anything with them if you only have a few large pieces to chip.  I have a Jo Beau M300 and I've chipped a few 5-6" thick lengths with it.  You have to hang onto one end to start with and use your arms as the stress control but when the log gets too short just let go and give the chipper time to fling it about until it's gone - that can take a while!

As said this only applies if you have a few bigger pieces but if all the branches are 4" then you're right, you need a bigger machine.

Does that guide you at all?  Just don't be frightened to let a 4" thick log drop into a wee chipper!

• Like 1