The Wee Chipper Club

TimberCutterDartmoor

2 hours ago, dan494 said:

I reckon they fitted that engine because the 'designer' (copy and paste button) saw greenmech used that engine and as the rest of the machine is a rip off...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Arbtalk mobile app

Is it a rip off though, and even if it is so what.. the point is does it do the same job cheaper?..  I like the fact one of ems been placed on tracks.. do greenmech do that?..

13 minutes ago, dan494 said:

Because GM spent the time and money developing a machine for someone to copy it and steal sales

steal sales? what about driving competition.. anyways, least its not some chinese junk..  

And, what about other chippers, do you think no one copied any other concept?.. by the way, its just come to me, greenmech copied their product from someone else..  I completely forgot about that..

Forget the name but it was a chipper they sold on licence from another company, due to costs they decided to make their own similar looking version..

Got anything to say about Greenmech scamming other brands now LOL...

• Confused 1

28 minutes ago, dan494 said:

Because GM spent the time and money developing a machine for someone to copy it and steal sales

This one is a classic!

If, for instance different companies didn't copy, and modify other folks designs we would all still be driving Model T Fords.

1 hour ago, dan494 said:

If there was no copyright protection we'd still be driving model t's because why would anyone invest time and money developing new products of someone will just copy and undercut you anyway because they've not spent the money developing it in the first place

well the greenmech chipper just moved the engine from in front of the chipper, it rested on a front plate to moving it onto the middle of the machine..

probably explains why they don't make much fuss when they come across copies of theirs..

Turners rebadged early Gandini chippers. When Gandini stopped supplying, we engineered our own. Further refinement has took us to where we are today. A global supplier and the biggest in Europe.

Some years ago, we imported a unit made and supplied in Europe, this unit was good but it was low volume due to the price. We asked if they would re-engineer to a lower price and when they wouldn't, we decided to! 

All these other, low cost, imports do have a market but we sell ours through a dealership network which can support our products and our customers and that costs.

Our higher priced units retain their value and are not chuck away items! You come to me and want to use your import as a deposit in a bigger unit and we can do business, but your £1500 device stays with you!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hi all thanks for your help and advice, especially Jon. I have taken the plunge and bought a Haecksler 3. I have to say Jim and Duncan Upson have been very helpful over the 5 or 6 times I called them before buying. I had a good look over the machine before I used it, it's looks well made and we'll thought out, maintenance been given alot of thought as everything is easily and quickly accessible. It's easy to pull around and I can get on the van by myself which is a plus. Ok I used it for the first time yesterday after reducing some big cherry trees. I was very very surprised by its capabilities and how well it worked and needless to say very happy. We would have struggled to get the amount of brash we had onto the trailer and possibly had to do two trip tips so it's saving me money already. I will update after a few more uses. The video is my mate feeding in the cherry brash.

VID_20170818_123443833.mp4

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great stuff.

You'll soon appreciate the benefit of sharp blades as you'll have to work noticeably harder to feed blunt ones.  Get the blade changing down to a fine art and you're made. :thumbup1:

Ask if you need a reliable place to send them for sharpening; my Jo Beau's cost me around £80 a time for 96" of blade sharpened at two different angles.

Edited by nepia

• 5 weeks later...

Greetings!  Has anyone put the Jo Beau M250 to the test yet? (I saw Gray git asked the same thing last year...) I care for a 2-acre lot on a hill with oak, beech, hornbeam, and birch. I want the best machine I can afford, but the M300 is too expensive and probably too heavy anyway to push up and down the hill. After reading this entire forum (you're awesome, guys!), I'm looking at the JBs ... quality, light, and low in-feed height make it perfect.

I'd use it maybe a dozen times a year. The M250 has the (admittedly non-professional) 13HP B&S 2100 while the M200 has a 9HP Honda GX270. Overall, the M250's specs are so much better than the M200, yet they cost almost the same... but I have no idea where JB cut corners to make the M250 so inexpensive. Does anyone know? Would those corners be an issue for my use case?

Many thanks in advance for you advice and help.