The Wee Chipper Club

TimberCutterDartmoor

Welcome to the Wee Chipper Club! Just because it isn't a CS100 doesn't get you barred, the ethos is all about being small isn't wrong! A 10" chipper is a good thing but you wouldn't push it around a house into the back garden!

• Like 1

Considering adopting a wee chipper

Hi, great thread and has inspired me to reconsider my most recent endeavour into self employment.

Have only pedestrian access (v secure) to my garden, no garage, live in area inhabited by thieving scum and every yard/lock up/field/garage i have ever rented has been targeted to some extent so a bigger chipper is out, just can't handle the stress anymore. Hence considering the green mech cs100

Longer term, small panel van (transit, t5 etc) with space for chipper and saws even somewhere to make cup of tea, most clients seem to be open minded to the prospect of saving a little money in exchange for chip to be left and always have the option of towing my trailer also, van would also double up as a camper for mountain biking, kayaking etc.

Limiting factors;

Finding small panel van with decent towing capacity (most only tow about 2t)

Wether it will fit down shared path to site where i want to store it, bamboo cane mock up of chipper size does not but shape of chipper will likely allow it to.

I am a bit of an animal when feeding chippers and have owned larger machines and used even larger in the past so hoping my patience can take the slower pace and extra snedding.

any advice welcome, particularly on small van towing weight and real life productivity compared to good 6 inch chipper, trying to blag a trial to see if chipper will fit in back garden but have a job Monday 5 if anybody "in the club" would like a days work for them and CS100 at short notice in Herts, P/M me.

Also if anyone knows or has a second hand CS 100 would be interested, only committed to buying new as second hand ones don't seem to come up very often.

It's a good little set up mate. I've got the cs100 and use it as my only copper atm. I also use a primastar panel van with a remote electric winch and ramps for easy self loading unloading. I can fit in all my kit, the chipper and 3 full size wheelie bins and its great turning up in one vehicle into narrow access drives or very busy roads with cars parked everywhere. It's also great to have it all hidden from sight so no one knows what's in the van.

I am seeking the van soon as I now have a tower and can't justify it anymore but it will be reluctantly.

Ultimately, i'll never sell the wee chipper but do need a bigger one now and find that having the tipper van makes life easier as you can't always chip on site and it was a real pain hiring a van in.

The towing weight of my van is 2t I think and you won't find much more than that without a much larger van which kind of defeats the object.

I'm in Berkshire and not free on Monday but if you are my side of herts then I could possibly do next thurs or Friday.

Otherwise just get a demo in from you're local dealer.

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...
Benwrdn

How much chip do you get in the back of that ranger and is it a tipper?

I'm thinking about that sort of setup as I've just setup in business would be good for doing hedges etc.

It's not a tipper. Takes about 5 minutes to unload with a good fork and plastic shovel. I've not measured it to be honest but it surprises me what I can get in.

You know I spent the best part of fours hours reading this thread about wee chippers last week.

I must say, I enjoyed every minute of it.

it got me to thinking I should start doing some more tree work myself, nothing fancy, the odd conifer once in a while ..

Now then, where can I get a nice wee chipper?...