Horse logging.

David Cropper

Mums brother  was in 13/18th Hussars so open day at York barracks meant i got to sit in one 😊 cracking vehicle. Cant think of a worst posting than Ulster 😕  K

Edited by Khriss
( Tom got Germany and Spandau)
  • Like 1

On 10/01/2021 at 10:04, David Cropper said:

No, I learnt to drive on Saladins and Saracens. Crewed in Mark 1 and 2 Ferrets in Ulster. Bleeding froze to death on night patrols! That's why I became a dog handler!

Lol no wonder you kicked back at being referred to as Cropper, Small world indeed, you weren’t in Cyprus in the 80s as resident armoured squadron at Epi by any chance were you ??. You guys had a breech let go I think on a Saladin during that tour. My regiment had a 4 tonner come off the road from troodos. Did my motorcycle test under the auspices of 17/21 instructors in a scheme put in place after a trooper called pepe lost his legs in a motorcycle crash. 

6 hours ago, Johnsond said:

Lol no wonder you kicked back at being referred to as Cropper, Small world indeed, you weren’t in Cyprus in the 80s as resident armoured squadron at Epi by any chance were you ??. You guys had a breech let go I think on a Saladin during that tour. My regiment had a 4 tonner come off the road from troodos. Did my motorcycle test under the auspices of 17/21 instructors in a scheme put in place after a trooper called pepe lost his legs in a motorcycle crash. 

No, that was probably the 9th/12th Royal Lancers who, I think had a semi permanent squadron out there.

26 minutes ago, David Cropper said:

No, that was probably the 9th/12th Royal Lancers who, I think had a semi permanent squadron out there.

Nope 

17/21 it was, death or glory skull and crossbones and all that. 1 squadron only was on Cyprus, still using ferrets and Saladins at the time, I think the remainder of the regiment was undergoing conversion to challenger 1. Various armoured regiments provided a squadron on 2yr rotation as resident armoured etc, resident infantry battalion was on the same 2 yr rotation. 

24 minutes ago, Johnsond said:

Nope 

17/21 it was, death or glory skull and crossbones and all that. 1 squadron only was on Cyprus, still using ferrets and Saladins at the time, I think the remainder of the regiment was undergoing conversion to challenger 1. Various armoured regiments provided a squadron on 2yr rotation as resident armoured etc, resident infantry battalion was on the same 2 yr rotation. 

We had "A" Squadron in Cyprus the same time as B Squadron were in Libya,  supposed to be 2 years but after 9 months Gadaffi happened. They returned to Omagh leaving A Squadron in Cyprus until the Regiment got together in Wolfenbuttal, November 71. 

• 1 month later...

Very interesting day with the two Percherons brought in to drag the timber off the client's property. Mainly brash today but tomorrow will be the trunks,  unfortunately I'm going back to grind out the remaining stumps on Wednesday so will miss that. Beautiful animals. Really steady and calm.

20210301_181308.jpg

20210301_150310.jpg

20210301_182731.jpg

20210301_115830.jpg

20210301_182038.jpg

• Like 14