I got my tree reduced has it been done well?

Margaret1963

10 minutes ago, Martin du Preez said:

Ok but If the customer still wants it doing then why not? It pays? We are businesses to that sense and it isn’t causing a detrimental effect to the tree? 1.8/2m on certain species like an oak do make a difference. And it goes back to my point that if they leave it to continually grow one will still only be able to remove the spec.

Ok admittedly on certain species like limes tree officers expect that we can effing levitate

The customer is always right - if they absolutely want a certain spec then we will deliver, no problem.

I’m just saying that I’d explain the benefits/negatives of their spec (and be very clear about how minimal a benefit they will achieve if reducing properly) before undertaking any work. 
A large tree properly reduced by 30% is still a large tree - if it starts at 100 feet tall it is unlikely to be anywhere near 70 feet once complete (more like 85-90 feet finished height). I’ve used 100 feet to simplify the maths). I’ll stand by my convictions that proper reductions are very often (not always) a waste of time. 

• Like 4

I disagree, we win the majority contradicting the customers spec, they trust us. I personally don’t find it difficult. The only exception is commercial works, then yea it’s reduction time with a 460. We do a few McDonald’s in London and they want all the tress turned into squares, definitely a day to leave the sign written clothing in the van aha

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Martin du Preez said:

I disagree, we win the majority contradicting the customers spec, they trust us. I personally don’t find it difficult. The only exception is commercial works, then yea it’s reduction time with a 460. We do a few McDonald’s in London and they want all the tress turned into squares, definitely a day to leave the sign written clothing in the van aha

.... So! Its You! K

• Like 1

20 hours ago, WesD said:

Only me what thinks it was a shit shape to begin with? 

Not alot for them to work with- basically it's glorified pollarding. They look to have cleared growth away from roof and left a bit for shape. It's not that bad. Street trees in Europe are cut right back every few years. Yes it could have been done to leave a better shape but i don't think it's owt to get nobbed off about.

• Like 2

On 08/01/2021 at 19:20, Margaret1963 said:

Hello I had a reduction job done by an arborist local to me. 

I thought in the end my tree looked strange and wasn't sure if the job was done well. 

Can others give me there thoughts? 

Screenshot_20210108_191907_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

Screenshot_20210108_191838_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

Madam,

You have most definitely not had your tree reduced by an educated & experienced Arborist. Nor have you had your tree expertly reduced by a skilled & experienced tree surgeon. You do appear to have had your wee taken & bank account pilfered by a butcherer of trees who has left you with an arboricultural embarrassment in your garden.

Whatever BS sweet nothings your "arborist" chappy might have whispered in your ear, You might have thought you were talking to Clint Eastwood "Blondie"; you were actually being hood winked by Lee Van Cleef  "Angel Eyes"; who in the end gave you an Eli Wallach "Tuco".

In other words, in cowboy parlance you thought you were talking to The Good; you were actually talking to The Bad & he most definitely gave you The Ugly! By which time you are sadly hundred's of pounds poorer and even more unhappy with your tree than before.

When it comes to tree work, most unenlightened householders a) don't bother getting more than 1 or 2 quotes, b) then go for the cheapest quote anyway. Sometimes it works out OK, other times less so with differing poorer outcomes when compared to expectations &/or potentially ending up at the further end of the scale with the kind of monstrosity you have shown us in your pictures.

At this stage you have 3 possible courses of action. 1) Suck it up & live with your mistake and then have it re-pruned by a more reputable & capable tree surgery company in about 5 years time. 2) Get another, but this time reputable tree surgery company in now to fell the remaining monstrosity you have been left with, grind out the stump and replant with a new tree that you can have the pleasure to watch grow during your remaining years at that property. 3) Use your social media accounts & word of mouth to warn all your family, friends and associates not to use the same tree surgery company you did that left you with the back street abortion of a tree you've posted in your pictures. Name & shame dear lady, name & shame to everyone you know, because people who produce that kind of work and take cold hard cash from the unsuspecting public for it should get their comeuppance somewhere.

Please note, option 3 can also be used in conjunction with options 1 and 2. But the answer to your original question is NO that is a not an example of a tree reduction that has been done well. Irrespective of species, it matters not whether it is a sycamore or any other, it is the very antithesis of a tree reduction done well! It is certainly a tree that has been reduced, but to sum it up in one word. Appallingly. 

Edited by Gnarlyoak
  • Like 6
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Gnarlyoak said:

Madam,

You have most definitely not had your tree reduced by an educated & experienced Arborist. Nor have you had your tree expertly reduced by a skilled & experienced tree surgeon. You do appear to have had your wee taken & bank account pilfered by a butcherer of trees who has left you with an arboricultural embarrassment in your garden.

Whatever BS sweet nothings your "arborist" chappy might have whispered in your ear, You might have thought you were talking to Clint Eastwood "Blondie"; you were actually being hood winked by Lee Van Cleef  "Angel Eyes"; who in the end gave you an Eli Wallach "Tuco".

In other words, in cowboy parlance you thought you were talking to The Good; you were actually talking to The Bad & he most definitely gave you The Ugly! By which time you are sadly hundred's of pounds poorer and even more unhappy with your tree than before.

When it comes to tree work, most unenlightened householders a) don't bother getting more than 1 or 2 quotes, b) then go for the cheapest quote anyway. Sometimes it works out OK, other times less so with differing poorer outcomes when compared to expectations &/or potentially ending up at the further end of the scale with the kind of monstrosity you have shown us in your pictures.

At this stage you have 3 possible courses of action. 1) Suck it up & live with your mistake and then have it re-pruned by a more reputable & capable tree surgery company in about 5 years time. 2) Get another, but this time reputable tree surgery company in now to fell the remaining monstrosity you have been left with, grind out the stump and replant with a new tree that you can have the pleasure to watch grow during your remaining years at that property. 3) Use your social media accounts & word of mouth to warn all your family, friends and associates not to use the same tree surgery company you did that left you with the back street abortion of a tree you've posted in your pictures. Name & shame dear lady, name & shame to everyone you know, because people who produce that kind of work and take cold hard cash from the unsuspecting public for it should get their comeuppance somewhere.

Please note, option 3 can also be used in conjunction with options 1 and 2. But the answer to your original question is NO that is a not an example of a tree reduction that has been done well. Irrespective of species, it matters not whether it is a sycamore or any other, it is the very antithesis of a tree reduction done well! It is certainly a tree that has been reduced, but to sum it up in one word. Appallingly. 

Eloquent. K

Edited by Khriss
( hope you noticed that Dempsey!)