competion for 0£

naturarbo

Quoted a job for 8k. dismantle and fell of 75 pines.After all agreed and a 2nd visit to site for last details, the owner calls 2 days before job starts and says someone is gonna do the job in exchange of wood.

Job lost to some gipsys.No problemo.

Should have charged to quote stupid me.

This makes business very dificult around here.

Now the owner wants to talk to me.

What to do if he wants the job done by me?

Meet him.  If he wants you to do the job then charge him the quoted cost of 8k.

If he wants YOU to do the job but in the terms of the other bloke.  Ie. for free.  Then tell him that certainly, no problem, you do it for the quoted cost and agreed price.

Dont play their game.  You have a business to run and if you could have done the job free and sold the wood for the profit, surely you would have suggested that in the proposal.

• Like 2

+1 for what Rich says. Don't budge on your quoted price. Who the hell says they will fell and clear 75 pines for the wood for free? I take it by "dismantle and fell" you mean they need to be climbed and dropped? 

Sounds like a local farm boy has watched too much swamp loggers and then realised that harvesting and dealing with timber isn't the "money maker" they saw on TV

See what he has to say ... to be fair if some one offered me 75 pine trees that had access for tractor and winch and to be selective or even better clear felled I would do it for the timber too... your not giving much away about the site though.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, AHPP said:

The forestry industry.

The local farmer on my shoot had forestry guys in to do his stuff for him. I would be amazed if forestry guys could make enough money out of 75 trees to make it worthwhile getting the guys in to fell or using the boom fellers, have all the equipment, drag out all the wood and load it up for sale. Then again I know jack S*** about forestry and current wood prices so I wouldn't know! 

1 minute ago, Paddy1000111 said:

The local farmer on my shoot had forestry guys in to do his stuff for him. I would be amazed if forestry guys could make enough money out of 75 trees to make it worthwhile getting the guys in to fell or using the boom fellers, have all the equipment, drag out all the wood and load it up for sale. Then again I know jack S*** about forestry and current wood prices so I wouldn't know! 

Any one worth there salt can make a decent living out of forestry work, with out the ear ache from the customer, 

We buy blocks of standing timber, go in fell it, extract it sell it its easy but as you say you know jack shit about forestry so leave that to them that do, you need to know your market on timber like who will but what spieces of timber and where you can get your best price for it, this is something you will not learn over night,

• Like 3

It depends. If it’s 75 poker straight trees 600mm dbh and 200 feet tall on a flat dry site with great road access, they’ll sell standing. Then there’s all sorts of other possibilities. I’d take down 75 trees for free for my own firewood if it was local, low risk, I could do it solo, easy extraction, I could do it when I fancied, I could store some there etc. Or maybe it’s someone with no work on who has people he has to pay anyway so he might as well have them making firewood rather than nothing. Or maybe it’s a terrible job and the people who won it are idiots. Who knows.

Just now, spuddog0507 said:

Any one worth there salt can make a decent living out of forestry work, with out the ear ache from the customer, 

We buy blocks of standing timber, go in fell it, extract it sell it its easy but as you say you know jack shit about forestry so leave that to them that do, you need to know your market on timber like who will but what spieces of timber and where you can get your best price for it, this is something you will not learn over night,

I completely agree and I wouldn't even know where to start. Forestry isn't my thing. I would be interested to know how much you think it would be worth though? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Paddy1000111 said:

I completely agree and I wouldn't even know where to start. Forestry isn't my thing. I would be interested to know how much you think it would be worth though? 

A lot depends on what timber it is but to give you a rough idea, chip wood which would be the bent, twisted partly rotten timber stuff that is stacked to one side when extracting and a few years back this timber would of been left behind for mother nature, but today it has a good value, 3 months ago this would of been around £70-75 tonne roadside, but has dropped a bit of late but i am sure it will rocket back up in the next 3-4 weeks, saw logs usually demand a bigger price than chip wood but they have both been on a level playing field of late,

• Like 1