Stoves and indoor pollution

Once our fire is lit it doesn't make smoke and if there is any it goes up the chimney with the draw from the warm air. I rattle the ash into the bottom pan then lift it out and put the box I made over it so it doesn't get in the house. I use a little rechargeable vacuum for the hearth and tip it all on the garden and dig it in.
Ash is very good for the garden, especially fruit trees. Providing it's clean wood that is.

12 hours ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

Bit off topic but there was an interesting caller to Ian Dale show earlier on LBC. 

He was a laid off commercial aircon engineer. As he told it, bored with no work on and ‘troubled’ by the reports of supermarkets being super conductors of C19, and ‘people’ not adhering to preventative measures, he decided to take his air quality monitoring equipment to the supermarket. 

What he said he found after measurements in various big name stores was that all bar 1 was wildly off what the government (?) air quality / moisture levels ‘should’ be. Apparently, such standards are published and available online (?)

I found it interesting (whilst having no idea if he was talking bullox or not) because (a) who even knew supermarket air quality was a ‘thing’ and (b) if it is, maybe the whole approach to C19 preventative measures is being mis sold as individual responsibility whereas corporate responsibility may be slipping the leash?

Apol’s for going off piste but thought you might be interested or have a view on it 🧐

I read an article a couple of months back and it said that having studied track and tracing information it appeared that the highest common denominator by a long way for spread of infection was supermarkets.

I never heard or saw mention of this ever again and put it down to the power of the supermarkets to get things hushed up, or the power they have over the Government. (if you don't believe they have power then tell me who got prosecuted over the horsemeat they were selling, and don't claim they didn't know or at the very least didn't bother asking the right questions)

All the supermarkets are now making a big thing about making masks compulsory, were they not before?

I have a conspiracy theory that the government kept a bit quiet about the supermarkets being a source of spread in return for them coughing up (no pun intended) the business rates they hadn't been paying. (£2 billion!)

Edited by Peasgood
speeling mistoke
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Paddy1000111 said:

A henry with the correct filter will stop pm10 and pm2.5. I don't think there's any difference between a henry and an ash hoover apart from the name! 

Yes that's what I use

1 hour ago, sime42 said:

Wrt to your comments about PM10 spikes when you ashed out the stove. I've been seeing special purpose ash vacuum cleaners around for a while now, but just dismissed them as another gimmick.

I was issued with an ash bucket precleaner for cleaning the flyash traps in industrial chip burners, it attached inline with the numatic and most of the fly ash settled into that so the vacuum cleaner filter didn't get clogged, it was all metal in case the ash was still hot, I used it once as it was such a faff to use,

I got one of these:

WWW.AMAZON.CO.UK

Free delivery and returns on all eligible orders. Shop DUST COMMANDER DLX ESD - High Performance Cyclone Filter Element/Dust Collector.

and it's mounted on one of these:

WWW.AMAZON.CO.UK

Oipps 60 L Plastic Blue Open Top Barrel Keg with Lid & Metal Ring UN Approved Food Grade: Oipps 60 L Plastic Blue Open Top Barrel Keg with Lid & Metal Ring UN Approved Food...

It goes inline with the hoover and works an absolute treat! Only fine dust in the hoover and all the medium/large stuff in the barrel! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Peasgood said:

I read an article a couple of months back and it said that having studied track and tracing information it appeared that the highest common denominator by a long way for spread of infection was supermarkets.

I never heard or saw mention of this ever again and put it down to the power of the supermarkets to get things hushed up, or the power they have over the Government. (if you don't believe they have power then tell me who got prosecuted over the horsemeat they were selling, and don't claim they didn't know or at the very least didn't bother asking the right questions)

All the supermarkets are now making a big thing about making masks compulsory, were they not before?

I have a conspiracy theory that the government kept a bit quiet about the supermarkets being a source of spread in return for them coughing up (no pun intended) the business rates they hadn't been paying. (£2 billion!)

I wouldn’t pretend to know enough about the subject to attempt to present a credible arugument one way or the other but I was personally struck by the significance of what chummy was saying on wireless yesterday - if he knew his onions - and then somewhat surprised / disappointed that the show host didn’t seem to grasp the significance and gravity of what he was saying - if he knew his onions. 

And - if he knew his onions - it begs the question WHY PHE, via their various LA inspection and enforcement teams (significantly augmented from other departments during COVID), or any other government’official’ or advisor have made no mention (so far as I’ve heard) of the significance of air quality management??

Strikes me as odd. 

5 hours ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

Yes that was (and still is) my method OSM. Dyson thingy (much to @Khriss ‘s displeasure 😂)

I suppose that 2kW refers to a heating element?

We experimented with Coanda effect for gas mixing in our kiln and made several devices well before Dyson came to the market. I came to the conclusion that they conserved momentum but not energy very well so not so efficient.

Also I think they are bypass filters as only the higher pressure air powering the blade-less design gets filtered doesn't it.

I would like to build a domestic wet scrubber and dehumidifier possibly with an electrostatic stage which would give just a tiny bit of ozone (to match outside air on a sunny day) and so dispatch bugs as well as catch very fine particles.

I was taken in by Dyson's multi vortex separators and bag less vacuum cleaners until my colleague and firm's chief designer explained the energy cost, he should know and when we folded went to Rolls Royce and now, twenty years later, is a senior design technician in their gas turbine division. For my part I acquired quite a few Dyson cleaners when they got binned because the filters were blocked, it was a surprise to read that they should not be used with fine dust. I think they are only for clean homes. I have got a few Henry's too which were binned because the power cord fails inside the insulation where it flexes on the attachemnt to the recoil drum.. Replacing the bag is less of a chore than tipping out the dyson container into the bin and getting covered in dust. The HEPA bags are cheap and efficient. I might just get a pre cyclone for the workshop to save on bags filling as per @Paddy1000111's link

• Like 1

That's for the main part what I use mine for. Hooking it up to the bandsaw/planer-thicknesser/sander etc I was emptying the bag on the hoover every few days (its a 40L hoover too so pretty big) but it seemed to loose suction before filling up as shavings were creating a layer on the filter. I have it on a 60L drum and that gets emptied every couple of weeks. It also seems to stop the hoover blocking so much too! 

Basically the 'hoovers' made of late - before the EU directive,  were running massive 1.5 Kw - 2Kw motors fr sucking dust , an air filtration system for a room would need far less draw , maybe 300w Mains , which will still shift some air per hour , dependent on yr turbine design .  

I have astonished friends and family by showing them where the filters are on hoovers , unblocking hoses and pipes and cutting wads of hair off rollers - to hear ' Shit ! Look at that !  It hasn't cleaned that good for years  !! ' .......      :/   K

Edited by Khriss
'mam' being the main culprit :(
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1