Stoves and indoor pollution

I'm assuming everyone had seen the articles in the guardian, maybe elsewhere as well, about stoves leading to indoor particulate pollution through smoke spillage on opening the door to reload. I've heard it may be worse with modern stoves, due to the baffles required to meet the efficiency targets.  I just thought, would this be easy to overcome with a bipass valve like a key damper?  Open the baffle bipass before opening the stove to load it, close again once loaded?

2 minutes ago, neiln said:

I'm assuming everyone had seen the articles in the guardian, maybe elsewhere as well, about stoves leading to indoor particulate pollution through smoke spillage on opening the door to reload. I've heard it may be worse with modern stoves, due to the baffles required to meet the efficiency targets.  I just thought, would this be easy to overcome with a bipass valve like a key damper?  Open the baffle bipass before opening the stove to load it, close again once loaded?

Market it . You might make a fortune . 👍

• Like 2

Our old wood burner lets out a little puff of smoke when you open the door but it is what it is. If you open the door slowly then no smoke comes out. Opening the door the size of the fire creates a small back draught that I don't think you could really stop. Next we won't have candles indoors. I think I've filled the house with more particulate cooking a steak than my fire ever has! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Paddy1000111 said:

If you open the door slowly then no smoke comes out. Opening the door the size of the fire creates a small back draught that I don't think you could really stop.

+1

And with that tiny bit of knowledge the minimal pollution become next to zero.....

If its smoking into the room after the stove door has been open for a few seconds its time to get the flue sorted out.

• Like 2

If it was pushing out that much particulate, it would be all over your room on shelves, TV, furniture etc 

The door on a stove will smoke if you open it sharply, the solution, as others have said is to open the door slowly and if that worried, open the damper before opening the door.

Probably the latest results from the think tanks! They will probably be taxing them next.

6 hours ago, Paddy1000111 said:

Our old wood burner lets out a little puff of smoke when you open the door but it is what it is. If you open the door slowly then no smoke comes out. Opening the door the size of the fire creates a small back draught that I don't think you could really stop. Next we won't have candles indoors. I think I've filled the house with more particulate cooking a steak than my fire ever has! 

The little puff of smoke is what you see and smell, I have done some experiments with my particulate sensor and there is a definite spike of particulates when you open the door and it takes a couple of hours to settle down, I tend to have to add logs every hour or so.

What surprised me was when I put the sensor out of the window the outside air was worse for particulates then inside and I cannot decide if it's my smoke I am sampling (no smoke visible in daylight from my chimney) or my neighbours.

I light my stove each morning and I'm fairly sure my neighbours only light theirs in the evening.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

The little puff of smoke is what you see and smell, I have done some experiments with my particulate sensor and there is a definite spike of particulates when you open the door and it takes a couple of hours to settle down, I tend to have to add logs every hour or so.

What surprised me was when I put the sensor out of the window the outside air was worse for particulates then inside and I cannot decide if it's my smoke I am sampling (no smoke visible in daylight from my chimney) or my neighbours.

I light my stove each morning and I'm fairly sure my neighbours only light theirs in the evening.

Download the weather app Windy and put the selection to Nox levels and the other atmosphere settings. You would be surprised. I'd be interested to see what you get when oven cooking a roast or frying a steak. I can see the particulates from cooking/frying!