Rec climbing and the law

Paddy1000111

I often do it (fortunately I have ongoing permission from a few woodland owners) but have rarely had anyone question what I'm up to, although I'm in a fairly quiet part of Scotland where people are less concerned about trespass.

Only twice been approached, a guy that was interested in the equipment as he used to climb and woman wanted to apologise for her dog peeing on my rope bag!

Have wondered if wearing helmet has similar effect to hi-vis waistcoat and people assume you're official 

• Like 2

Ah, I'll stick a logo'd shirt on and "Look proper". It's all publicly accessible land so there's no trespass issues, I was just curious as I have seen a lot of videos of people reviewing kit in public parks etc and was wondering if anyone has ever been told off. As far as I can find there's no laws or anything saying "Do not climb trees" so that's all the permission I'll bother with! 

The one I want to climb is ontop of a massive cliff that overlooks the ocean on one side and the town and right up the river on the other. Looks like a fun tree to climb! 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Paddy1000111 said:

Will do, never usually climb with my phone as I'm scared to watch it drop and hit every branch on the way down 😂

I broke so many screens while having the phone in my pocket at work I got a bombproof case for it.

Never broke after that but it wouldn't let me hang up from a call so ditched the case and leave it in the pickup now, very safe!

5 minutes ago, Doug Tait said:

I broke so many screens while having the phone in my pocket at work I got a bombproof case for it.

Never broke after that but it wouldn't let me hang up from a call so ditched the case and leave it in the pickup now, very safe!

I got one of the micro sized peli-cases for mine. The bluetooth seems to reach to my sena if it's nearby so I'm happy with that! I'll have to take it up for photos though! 

• Thanks 1