Anyone using the smaller processors - Jappa 305 / 315 for example?

kevinjohnsonmbe

8 hours ago, scbk said:

I don't know the other makes, but the balfor with 700mm blade can cut 300mm timber (750mm can cut 325mm). But at that sizes almost as easy using a chainsaw on the ground anyway (as in lifting the bloody logs!)

A tct blade will cut a huge amount of wood, never needing sharpened

I was saying what my ancient one would do but your other points make sense. Also bent logs increase the depth of cut required. Other than my little mitre saw, which I intend to cut some old  steel bed frames with, I have not used a TCT blade, nails should be no big issue

I still prefer the circular saw in the processor but the only chainsaw one I used  was the Japa with a belt driven chain IIRC.

I have lost a couple of finger nails with my circular saw snatching the log and with the log jamming the blade, a chainsaw just stops in the same circumstance. I used a segmented belt as it slipped more easily. I haven't used it for many years

Edited by openspaceman

21 minutes ago, Justme said:

Build a pile & hire in a processor & man as you need to clear the pile.

For occasional use its not worth while having your own.

Nah.... Why pay someone else to do something there isn't huge money in on a small scale? 

I have my own processor and specific tractor for it. It may only work 3 weeks a year if that but so what. Tax deductible object. No messing about with other folk. All on your own timescale. 

Crack on Kev and get some brass splashed :D

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, swinny said:

Nah.... Why pay someone else to do something there isn't huge money in on a small scale? 

I have my own processor and specific tractor for it. It may only work 3 weeks a year if that but so what. Tax deductible object. No messing about with other folk. All on your own timescale. 

Oddly our biggest customers are people with processor's who see the value of hiring in with operators as we produce more per hour than their staff do as the need arises. The whole tax deductible thing is crazy when you drill down. You dont save the total cost just the tax you would have paid (ie 20% if on lower rates) in the first year only. You will be loosing that much in depreciation on it every year. Add in running costs of fuel, spares, repairs and replacement and the stats are even worse.

Ps you should be making £50 proper profit per IBC on top of all your costs. Even after paying a contractor. More if using arb waste / arisings. 

There is money in firewood if you do it right.

3 hours ago, swinny said:

That’s what I’m talking about 😂😂😂😂😂

I have a japa 370 PTO & a derv Japa 300.  If im processing for the day I use the 370 on the tractor, loading deck, digger with grab & forklift, power infeed and stick the bigger 12ft lengths through.  If im pottering for a hour and have some managable size timber ill use the 300.  Its not as quick but it ready to work with a turn of a key.  It manages to cut upto 12" stuff,  anything bigger you can ring up with chainsaw & hand load into splitter.  may need a couple of passes but can fit fair chunks in.  the 305 is a newer version of mine and has many upgrades on it.  I would have purchased 1 however dont do a deisel version anymore fuel costs will rocket for me.      

I have often thought of investing in a small processor, but can't convince myself it is worth it for our domestic arb waste. We use a lot of logs ourselves and sell the rest. When do you ever see a video of a processor with awkward gnarly timber going through it. 

We use a venom 22ton splitter (can be horizontal or vertical) and split rings and 20 inch lengths. The 20 inch lengths then get sawn using the pto sawbench. I think this is about the most efficient way we can manage to process timber of the sort we bring in from domestic work.

2 hours ago, maybelateron said:

I have often thought of investing in a small processor, but can't convince myself it is worth it for our domestic arb waste. We use a lot of logs ourselves and sell the rest. When do you ever see a video of a processor with awkward gnarly timber going through it. 

We use a venom 22ton splitter (can be horizontal or vertical) and split rings and 20 inch lengths. The 20 inch lengths then get sawn using the pto sawbench. I think this is about the most efficient way we can manage to process timber of the sort we bring in from domestic work.

The Farmi is pretty good with arb waste. The old ones with no guarding over the splitter chamber even more so as theres always logs to adjust. Filled 19 vented bags in a day from pure arb  waste for a guy some years ago but he does his own now. 

Edited by Woodworks