Anyone using the smaller processors - Jappa 305 / 315 for example?

kevinjohnsonmbe

Anyone using the smaller processors for home use and lower volume log production?  

End of FY is nearly upon us and it's time to start looking for kit that will make like easier.  

Not looking for the big kit, something that will breakdown arb arisings for firewood and make life a bit easier on the old back.

I'll prob ask the question in the MultiOne thread to see if anyone is using the mini-loader mounted types but kind of favouring the stand alone versions.

Any comments, recommendations, warnings gratefully received.

Currently got the Japa 305 / 315 looking like strong contenders. 

1 hour ago, lux said:

If it’s arb waste time likely to be rounds of wood a lot is likely to be too big for a small processor

How many cubic meters are you looking to process a year ?

It is Arb arisings (I don’t refer to it as waste - it’s all good 😂.)

Not for commercial purposes, more for domestic consumption. 

Currently stack cord in a frame (+/- ¾ ton) and run a big bar saw down the stack. Dumpy bag 10 mins. 

Got a big vertical splitter for rings. 

It’s more an attempt to streamline handling for medium diameter stuff - cut split conveyor straight into a dumpy. 

Not convinced it’s got legs, but gotta spend the money somewhere!

I run a japa 370 and you really need the correct stuff at the side of the machine or it's pointless. Not sure how much bigger mine is but still takes 40-45 mins to fill an ibc crate. Could do in less time with a log deck and 8' lengths but who wants to be that serious at fire wood lol

• Like 2

Saw bench and a venom splitter with 4 way head is a good combo. It’s a good way to make up a short day this time of year when no time to start another job.
We jumped on the venom splitter this afternoon, pile of nice bitch rounds. 3 of us processed circa 3 cube in about an hour. About £220 quids worth of firewood next season. I only do small volume for a few customers although lockdown has driven demand this year and I’m sold out as of today. All just arb waste. The crap goes for biomass and I process the nicer stuff. Might up volumes for next winter. Dare I say my house might be finished then and I’ll have a log fire again [emoji106]

It’s whatever works in your setup really. Although I agree, always nice to buy toys when you can.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

Thought about a circ saw. 

trouble is they need to be 750mm diameter to cut 230mm but faster than a chainsaw, just as easy to sharpen with a file, unless TCT, but have to be returned to a sawdoctor to retension and gullet.

When things go wrong they are more trouble than a chainsaw.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, openspaceman said:

trouble is they need to be 750mm diameter to cut 230mm but faster than a chainsaw, just as easy to sharpen with a file, unless TCT, but have to be returned to a sawdoctor to retension and gullet.

When things go wrong they are more trouble than a chainsaw.

I don't know the other makes, but the balfor with 700mm blade can cut 300mm timber (750mm can cut 325mm). But at that sizes almost as easy using a chainsaw on the ground anyway (as in lifting the bloody logs!)

A tct blade will cut a huge amount of wood, never needing sharpened

• Like 1