Distance a Tree Can be safely growing to a house

Dan27

33 minutes ago, Scottish Cleaning Service said:

If the house was built in the 90s then they would have scraped the area for the founds. The height of the tree is the area of the roots around the trunk or as far out as the branches. Only blessing is that in a gale force wind the side without the house is the weakest. In the end it needs to be removed as soon as possible.

You were asked earlier what your qualifications were regarding the subject. I'd be interested to know too.

• Like 6

31 minutes ago, Scottish Cleaning Service said:

If the house was built in the 90s then they would have scraped the area for the founds.

NHBC Chapter 4.2 has been around since the late 60's.  BS5837 since the 80s.  They would have considered the tree when specing the foundations.   

The height of the tree is the area of the roots around the trunk or as far out as the branches.

Based on what?  

Only blessing is that in a gale force wind the side without the house is the weakest. In the end it needs to be removed as soon as possible.

Based on what?  Are you saying that the installation of foundations 30 years ago has compromised the tree but for some reason it hasn't fallen over yet?  Seems like a long shot for a TPO app.  Do you write tree reports? What is your experience with the PINS?   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

Can't see from the pic, is the tree in your garden or on the highway?  

Are YOU the tree owner?

It's only partly of interest since the tree owner gets to decide what might happen after the LA has issued the decision.  If you don't own the tree you've got even less than the already slim chance of getting what (you think) you want.

Might be best spend a bit of cash on getting the allergy identified properly since it may not even be the tree and you'd likely be North of £2k light in pocket if you did get an approval and paid for a removal.

For that sort of mullah you'd be better off getting a air purifier and some private health screening.

Sounds like a typically slack LA with that ATPO though.  Should last no longer than 6 months!  

WWW.GOV.UK

Explains the legislation governing Tree Preservation Orders and tree protection in conservation areas.

Screenshot 2021-01-06 at 19.56.31.png

My point,   possibly the tree in question barely got a glance on the topographical survey. Then houses just fitted in expediently. K

To echo what another has said earlier , what might be prohibitive about moving your sons bedroom to the back of the house ? I am of course making an assumption that there is a bedroom to the rear as well.
That’s clearly a very easy, cheap and quick answer .

I’d guess that now that the tree has been dormant some months that the asthma related issues have disappeared?

I guess ultimately you are a custodian of that tree during this chapter of its life despite you being legally it’s owner, but it would be worth considering the overall amenity of the area, the benefit to the air quality overall in the global scale and its positive impact on wildlife locally before you dogmatically gun for its removal when potentially another more positive outcome could be had .
As a total personal aside, my son very quickly grew out of his asthma , which is not uncommon . Perhaps if I’d laid waste to a natural structure of this scale for reasons that were either temporary or could have been circumnavigated , I may have been faced with a modicum of guilt after the fact .
Just points to consider and not words to beat your brow .

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Scottish Cleaning Service said:

If the house was built in the 90s then they would have scraped the area for the founds. The height of the tree is the area of the roots around the trunk or as far out as the branches. Only blessing is that in a gale force wind the side without the house is the weakest. In the end it needs to be removed as soon as possible.

you do talk some absolute rubbish

I remember when this forum was populated by actual tree workers

apologies to all, I shouldn't feed the troll...

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Chris at eden said:

Bit harsh mate.  That wasn't the advice in the 90s.  Many LPAs don't have the resources to review old orders.  

I’m not sure it is harsh Chris.  The 90’s is 30 years ago. 

I want to add a very current, relevant and brilliantly funny back story but it’ll have to wait a little while. 

Haven’t seen you posting for ages Chris. 

Hope all well and happy New Year an all that. 

👍🏻