Distance a Tree Can be safely growing to a house

Dan27

Things like this really irritate me. Someone buys an house with a tree in the garden, someone gets an illness, blames the tree, bye bye tree. Someone buys a house next to a farm, complains about the smell, bye bye farm, .
Why don't people think before they buy. There are many more instances I could think of as well.
It's just barmy.
In this instance , it looks like it's a dormar bedroom, I would be looking at the insulation in the roof, ventilation, what type of heating system is installed etc. I would look at conditions inside the house before looking elsewhere.

People are like that with houses next to pubs. I’ve always wanted to live next to a pub and now I’ve bought one next to 2 pubs moved in October and they still ain’t ****************ing reopened yet
  • Like 1
  • Haha 7
  • Sad 2

12 hours ago, harvey b davison said:

Things like this really irritate me. Someone buys an house with a tree in the garden, someone gets an illness, blames the tree, bye bye tree. Someone buys a house next to a farm, complains about the smell, bye bye farm, .
Why don't people think before they buy. There are many more instances I could think of as well.

Whilst I tend to agree to some extent, life is often not that simple. People often don't have a great deal of choice when buying a house for example.

There are also different degrees of what you can/should accept. I quite like the typical country smells for example but I wouldn't be happy if a farm suddenly build a huge slurry lagoon right next to my house and didn't empty it for months on end as I'm not keen on the anaerobic stench.

Going back to the tree, to my uneducated eyes, it would appear a bit close to the house. I would be curious to know if the house would obtain permission to be built so close to the tree in it's current size. If not, why was permission originally granted.

4 minutes ago, Paul in the woods said:

Whilst I tend to agree to some extent, life is often not that simple. People often don't have a great deal of choice when buying a house for example.

There are also different degrees of what you can/should accept. I quite like the typical country smells for example but I wouldn't be happy if a farm suddenly build a huge slurry lagoon right next to my house and didn't empty it for months on end as I'm not keen on the anaerobic stench.

Going back to the tree, to my uneducated eyes, it would appear a bit close to the house. I would be curious to know if the house would obtain permission to be built so close to the tree in it's current size. If not, why was permission originally granted.

... See previous comments by arb techs, its fine if done correctly. K

15 minutes ago, Paul in the woods said:

I’d say that example is definitely something you should accept. Why should the farm be restricted in their business activities because the new bloke next door has his own ‘Good Life’ ideology and doesn’t like the smell?

A mate bought and reopened a lovely rural pub that had been closed for a couple of years. A neighbour who had moved in during the closed period constantly complained (to no avail fortunately) to the local authority about noise and cooking smells (yet had chosen to buy a house next to a pub!). What a plum!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, monkeybusiness said:

I’d say that example is definitely something you should accept. Why should the farm be restricted in their business activities because the new bloke next door has his own ‘Good Life’ ideology and doesn’t like the smell?

It's not me, it's a summary of many planning apps in this area. Often the incomers are the farmers and those complaining are people who've lived in the area far longer.

30 minutes ago, Khriss said:

... See previous comments by arb techs, its fine if done correctly. K

That's not what I mused. I wondered if planning would be given today. The house appears to on the edge of the RPA and I note in a different post you suggest doubling the RPA if you want to protect the trees health.

5 minutes ago, Paul in the woods said:

That's not what I mused. I wondered if planning would be given today. The house appears to on the edge of the RPA and I note in a different post you suggest doubling the RPA if you want to protect the trees health.

And i would. If yr professionaly involved in promoting tree health or retention. There will be build solution that retains a 'big' tree, such as that today. Even if its bridging most of the root area. I would recommend you read 'Tree roots in the built enviroment'  Roberts, Jackson & Smith.  K