How to gain better knowledge in the industry

Cactusjack1993

I'm looking for advice and I hope my post doesn't get looked at the wrong way. I believe I'm someone that still needs a lot more experience in this industry but the people locally aren't there. 

Last year I worked at the back of the chipper for a tree surgery company and never really got any hands on experience further than that. Unfortunately after the summer finished my boss wasn't in need for any extra help so got paid off. 

I decided I really wanted to pursue a career in this industry as I really enjoyed the hands on outdoor work and got my Cs 30 31 38 & 39. After completing my courses I applied for a variety of different companies locally but never had any luck with my applications so I decided to start up myself.

I still feel that I need a lot of help and advice in particular jobs and never having someone with a lot of experience to help me through the ropes I've been finding it difficult at times and want to strive to be the best arborist I can be. 

So my question would be what further education at home or online should I aim to do to better myself? Has anyone else been in a similar situation as myself in the past? thanks

• Like 1

Hi there, when you say you've started up yourself, which is always an option and many good arborist have followed the same route and time + trial and error has developed them to where they are today, but if you can I would suggest trying to 'freelance' to other businesses to see a range of practices, probably good and bad (and indifferent) to build up your knowledge and experience. 

There are many education opportunities, full-time, part-time, short courses, online, webinars etc. etc. but "hands-on" experience and knowledge counts for so much.   

Maybe "take a punt" on here and say where you are and ask if anyone can offer you some days.

Just my thoughts...

Good luck with it, stay safe and enjoy..

Paul

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, AA Teccie (Paul) said:

Hi there, when you say you've started up yourself, which is always an option and many good arborist have followed the same route and time + trial and error has developed them to where they are today, but if you can I would suggest trying to 'freelance' to other businesses to see a range of practices, probably good and bad (and indifferent) to build up your knowledge and experience. 

There are many education opportunities, full-time, part-time, short courses, online, webinars etc. etc. but "hands-on" experience and knowledge counts for so much.   

Maybe "take a punt" on here and say where you are and ask if anyone can offer you some days.

Just my thoughts...

Good luck with it, stay safe and enjoy..

Paul

Thanks Paul. Will look into other businesses too and hopefully get some sub-contract work and gain a bit more insight. Appreciate your advice 

I think it's always good to get reading about tree biology and pruning, but if I'm honest I am doubtful that more education will fill the experience gap you need to be more employable.

There are definitely people recruiting, maybe you need to cast the net further afield - at least as a short term measure? Even a few weeks with other crews would be a helpful experience compared to being on your own. Or two days a week means an overnight in the van one day a week? Not ideal but doable.

I started by doing some of my own jobs and volunteering with the Wildlife Trust, which got me time on the saw but more importantly contact with someone who knew someone who was prepared to take a punt on a bloke with little experience. I've now been doing two days a week with that firm for two years, it's worked out really well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Dan Maynard said:

I think it's always good to get reading about tree biology and pruning, but if I'm honest I am doubtful that more education will fill the experience gap you need to be more employable.

There are definitely people recruiting, maybe you need to cast the net further afield - at least as a short term measure? Even a few weeks with other crews would be a helpful experience compared to being on your own. Or two days a week means an overnight in the van one day a week? Not ideal but doable.

I started by doing some of my own jobs and volunteering with the Wildlife Trust, which got me time on the saw but more importantly contact with someone who knew someone who was prepared to take a punt on a bloke with little experience. I've now been doing two days a week with that firm for two years, it's worked out really well.

Thanks Dan will get a few books ordered related to prunning and tree biology. Also will try take a look further a field to where I'm located. Appreciate it mate 👍

When you say started on your own what kit have you got and jobs have you done?

I've known plenty people get their tickets and start out on their own pretty quickly. One thing they've always done is hire in competency rather than try something they cant do. 

If you're good at getting work and have the gift of the gab. It may be worth putting ads up for more qualified and experienced climbers to help you and learn from. This may also lead to getting know some other local guys who need a hand. 

Good luck. 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, joshuatree said:

When you say started on your own what kit have you got and jobs have you done?

I've known plenty people get their tickets and start out on their own pretty quickly. One thing they've always done is hire in competency rather than try something they cant do. 

If you're good at getting work and have the gift of the gab. It may be worth putting ads up for more qualified and experienced climbers to help you and learn from. This may also lead to getting know some other local guys who need a hand. 

Good luck. 

Got a cs100 tipper trailer all climbing gear (apart from rigging ropes hopefully in coming weeks) 3 chainsaws 12 16 and 20 inch. All general groundwork gear. 

Thanks I did think about advertising for experienced climbers, something I will defiantly look into. Thanks josh

I went a similar way you you, was doing some part time arb work, then tried to go full time employed but wages offered were not sustainable £75 a day starting (with tickets and own kit) minus the drive it wasn’t affordable.
So bought a chipper/trailer/hilux and have been busy since.
I don’t take on huge jobs or site clearance etc as it’s just asking for pain being a small 2man setup. Being sensible enough to walk away from jobs beyond you, subbing in climbers as needed for jobs beyond my climbing skills but within the scope of my kit.
Read lots, plenty of online courses to take (i’m doing arb level 3 remotely currently)
The issue with some companies is the knowledgable folk arnt on the job day to day, sure the fast skilled climbers are but you don’t get to learn much feeding the chipper, won’t learn the biology side without the boss about and a lot of firms send 2-4 man teams out while the boss quotes etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1